Old 25-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Anita Hawkins

Doug - they almost certainly are early cedar apple rust galls or
alternatively, one of the other 2 rusts that infect junipers. Marty is
right on in how to dispose of them, but I'd add that the "disgusting
orange gel" is the spore mass that will infect your apples (and other
susceptible Rosaceous hosts) so it's *imperative* to get them off
before this occurs and continues the growth cycle.

Likewise, for the apples, remove the infected leaves when they show
the typical bright yellow-to-orange spots, *don't* wait for them to
turn brown/black, that's the spores forming to reinfect your junipers

To see pictures of the slimy alien creatures that are the "apples"
releasing spores, and a good overall look at the disease, go to
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3055.html

from Anita, whose landscape redcedars have *all three* rusts, and
"apples" so big, Nina took one back to show off to her plant
pathologist friends...
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

Marty Haber wrote:
You hit in on the head! Whenever junipers are grown in the vicinity of
Malus (apples), they become hosts to apple rust. When the berries open,
they provide the spores which infect the apples. Then the apples
develop leaf galls which, in turn, infect the junipers. Once you see a
few of those "berries", examine the entire plant for them and cut them
off. You will probably have to remove many of the branchlets to which
they cling, since they wrap themselves around the branches. Once they
open, they exude a disgusting orange gel, so try to get to them before
this happens.
As for the infected apple leaves, you must remove all these leaves as
soon as you see black spots appear.
Some people defoliate their apples even before seeing any damage.
Don't toss the infected leaves on the ground, but place them in a
plastic bag and seal it. The same goes for the juniper galls. Good
luck, Doug.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Taylor"
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:51 AM
Subject: [IBC] Juniper Gall question

I was thinning my Pro. Nana Juniper cascade and I noticed, buried in
the poofy overgrowth, a few smallish (3/32"-1/8) smooth, shinny, light
brown, oval berry looking growths attached to the still green twigs.

I have seen these in the past and assumed they where the dormant state
of cedar apple rust and trimmed them off.

Is this what they are?

Doug Taylor

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++