Old 25-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Craig Cowing

On Feb 24, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Anita Hawkins wrote:

Doug - they almost certainly are early cedar apple rust galls or
alternatively, one of the other 2 rusts that infect junipers. Marty is
right on in how to dispose of them, but I'd add that the "disgusting
orange gel" is the spore mass that will infect your apples (and other
susceptible Rosaceous hosts) so it's *imperative* to get them off
before this occurs and continues the growth cycle.
snip

from Anita, whose landscape redcedars have *all three* rusts, and
"apples" so big, Nina took one back to show off to her plant
pathologist friends...
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

And from her husband, whose junipers are soon to expose her crabapples
to galls in the frozen wasteland of southern New York--I get them here
too. There are both red cedars and apple trees in the yard. I have
apple/crabapple bonsai, and a number of junipers. I haven't noticed
too many galls on my junipers, but my apples were loaded last year.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++