Old 24-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Kathy" wrote:

I'm new here so please forgive if you all discussed this last year, but how
do you know if mulch hay is safe? I'd like to get a couple bales of hay, or
better yet seed-free straw, for mulching potatoes and peppers. I've always
heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

Kathy

First of all, most broad leaf weed killers (as far as I know anyway,
everyone please correct me if I am wrong!) are only effective when
sprayed on the leaves of the target plants, and they biodegrade with
time.

Secondly, if you get feed grade hay, I don't think there are usually
week killers in feed hay as it could hurt the livestock???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada