Old 24-02-2005, 11:07 PM
GA Pinhead

Kathy wrote:
better yet seed-free straw

Wheat straw at least will always have wheat seeds in it. But wheat will
not grow in the summer, at least in the South. But it will oversummer
and sprout in the fall.

heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

If it was sprayed, it was sprayed early so residual effect should not be
a problem. If it wasn't sprayed weed seeds can be a problem. An ex
hort prof told me to get the second cutting of hay, fewer weeds seeds
overall, at least for bermuda hay.

THE thing? Well, lets just say, that any ,ulch is better than none!

John!