Old 25-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Dick

On 24 Feb 2005 11:02:05 -0800, wrote:

I've recently setup a new 55 gallon tank. I let it run for a while,
then stocked it with a bunch of plants and three tetras from my LFS.

Yesterday, I read on the skepticalaquarist.com a strong argument for
quaratine for new fish, and for salt and parasite treatments, and for
treating plants as well. It sounds like a really good idea.

My question is, if I were to quantine my fish now, in a small tank that
I could treat and change lots of water on, would my main tank be
sterile in a month, having been free of fish (but not snails)? If
things would live on in the main tank anyway, what would be a good
course of action?

Thank you muchly.

How long is "recently?" Quarantine is a way to keep new fish/plants
from passing along bad things to known good plants/fish. It also
allows you to observe and treat suspected ills. You don't seem to be
suspicious of existing setup. If it ain't broke why fix it? Moving
plants and fish is stressful. You might create a problem where it
does not exist. Leave well enough alone is my suggestion.

dick