Old 24-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Retroactive Quarantine?

I've recently setup a new 55 gallon tank. I let it run for a while,
then stocked it with a bunch of plants and three tetras from my LFS.

Yesterday, I read on the skepticalaquarist.com a strong argument for
quaratine for new fish, and for salt and parasite treatments, and for
treating plants as well. It sounds like a really good idea.

My question is, if I were to quantine my fish now, in a small tank that
I could treat and change lots of water on, would my main tank be
sterile in a month, having been free of fish (but not snails)? If
things would live on in the main tank anyway, what would be a good
course of action?

Thank you muchly.

Old 24-02-2005, 10:12 PM
NetMax

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've recently setup a new 55 gallon tank. I let it run for a while,
then stocked it with a bunch of plants and three tetras from my LFS.

Yesterday, I read on the skepticalaquarist.com a strong argument for
quaratine for new fish, and for salt and parasite treatments, and for
treating plants as well. It sounds like a really good idea.

My question is, if I were to quantine my fish now, in a small tank that
I could treat and change lots of water on, would my main tank be
sterile in a month, having been free of fish (but not snails)? If
things would live on in the main tank anyway, what would be a good
course of action?

Thank you muchly.

Your strategy assumes that any pathogens were waterborne parasites which
would die without a host, or bacteria which would dilute and vanish. I
don't know if that's a valid assumption. The value of a small quarantine
tank is that it allows you to more closely inspect the condition and
progress of the fish (their consumption of food, emptying their bowels,
coloration and behaviour). Personally, I think that you should not
bother, and your entire tank is now a defacto quarantine tank. The
requirement to quarantine also extends to plants, but this requirement
decreases with the time the plants have not been exposed to fish (but in
a pet shop, wet nets, fingers and splashes tend to travel broadly, so I
don't know what that isolation is really worth ;~).
jmo, ymmv
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 25-02-2005, 01:57 PM
John W

Yeah. I wan't going to go adding heaps of chemicals to my setup or
anything. Basically, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to
separate them off, so that if they did show problems, I would have a
smaller sick tank on my hands. I'll just stick with what I've got now,
though.

Thanks.

Galvanized trough ok for quarantine Don Ponds 7 30-06-2003 02:32 PM
quarantine fish(?) *muffin* Ponds 4 18-05-2003 07:20 PM
Quarantine question ~ jan Ponds 0 04-05-2003 07:20 AM
Quarantine Tank Advice LeilaniR Ponds 2 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-02-2003 03:34 PM