Old 26-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Richard Sexton

Aponogeton crispus never produced floating leaves, ever, but hybrids
abound or it might actually be natans which is a pretty worthless plant
for aquariums.

Crispus is having a hard time. I've been told by many people it's extinct
in the wild. Whether this is true I don't know but it has been for me
imposible to find. You have to "settle" for lungiplumulosus, capronii
or the live bearing stachysporousd/undulatus. long. looks like
crispus, capronii has radically undulated leaves that look almost
corkscrew.

At least one online vendor claims to be raising crispus from tank bred
seed stock. This is IMO a very good thing and should be encouraged.

http://www.aquariumlandscapes.net/wh...nts/plants.cfm

It was only 5 years ago that somebody gave me a bag of 20 crispus bulbs,
wild collected, for free "too cheap to bother with, just take them". I
guess that's part of the problem, with the usual habitat destruction
issues thrown in for good measure.

The sale of hybrids as crispus is nowhere near new, it's documented
in plant books from the 1960's. Real crispus is a great plant and I
hope it makes a comeback. Keep in mins Aponogetons don't really have a
rest period, they just run out of nutrients. Theyt're massivly heavy feeders.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org