Old 27-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Richard Sexton

I've read (not that it's correct) says Aponogetons require a rest
period. Can an Aponogeton that's slowing down be revived by moving it
to another spot in the substrate, then? Or by root feeding with a bit
of water lily tablet that has NPK?

I was told this by Jom Robinson about 1991 or so aftr losing a few
and I never got the dormant thing to work. I did as he suggested
and stuck a planttab under the roots whenever it slowed down,
about 6-12 weeks. I had a lacepant one that utterly filled a 40 gallon
long tank.

This image:

http://images.aquaria.net/users/r/rs.../sjotank28.jpg

is shot longways down the side of that tank. The bulb is actually
on the other end of the 3' tank; that leaf measured 6" wide. The
plant had been growing steadily for two years.

I assume Aponogetons can handle a dormant period, not that I ever
got it to work, but I'm convinced now they don't need one.

Occasionally you'll see a reference in literature regarding this,
but they're infrequent. Aquarium Heute has one that I noticed last week
in a 25 year old issues. Old myths die hard :-)

None of my Aponogetons need it yet but I'll probably use Pushak's
clay ball recipe this time round.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org