Old 27-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Richard Sexton

I've pretty much prepared to get hybrids whenever anyone sells "crispus",
but this purchase was so far off from expected that I'm a wee bit miffed.
I should have known better than to trust that shop with plant IDs though.
It's a large LFS, long established, but definately more into fish and
supplies than plants.

Anyways, I was able to get my digital camera and new machine to talk to
each other successfully today, so here's a few photos:

Clump of submerged leaves with no floating leaves yet:
http://www.shwaine.com/image/apon_submerge.jpg

Underside of two floating leaves:
http://www.shwaine.com/image/apon_float.jpg

Don't give up on it yet, it could be A. echinatus. It's impossible
to identify it authoritatively until it flowers, which should do
after it puts out a bunch more floating leaves. Even if it's a hybrid
you can still identify the parents plants by the (color of the) flowers.

The Rataj and Horeman book has a key to genus Aponogeton.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org