Old 27-02-2005, 02:37 AM
GARLAND HANSON

You have to have at least 25 members before the group becomes political and
stuffy. Enjoy the4 small and intimate group while you can!

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[thud]

[gets up, dusting self off]

Take heart. Cynthia in Prescott AZ (on OrchidSafari) started a society in
Prescott, I think there were 15 people at her 1st meeting, and it may have
dropped off from there. (but don't quote me on that).

Look at it this way, you now have 5 people who share the same interest as
you, who you didn't know before.

Next time bring a catalog, you'll get the borderline folks hooked again in
no time. Something with color photos, like Carter & Holmes. Mention the
possibility of sharing an order and splitting shipping costs. As well as
getting a supply catalog from someplace like Robert's Supplies.

It actually might be rather fun to only have a small group. After all,
usually only a small group of people ever does any work and the rest sit
around and listen, so by keeping it small it might be more intimate.
Heck,
y'all could meet at a bar in a booth at the back!

Maybe the 7 (5) of you could arrange to bring your favorite orchid book to
the next meeting and maybe share them (if you can stand to part with
them),
or at least allow everyone to see if they want to buy them for themselves.

Congrats!!

K Barrett

"Steve" wrote in message
Well, this is a post I never expected to write. Tonight I attended the
first ever meeting of the Adirondack Orchid Society. Seven of us sat
around for 2 hours discussing orchids and how to make a local Orchid
society work.
Orchid growers are few and far between around here so I don't know if we
can get enough people to keep it going or not. In fact, 2 of the 7 there
tonight don't have a single orchid and never have. Another one used to
grow some orchids but hasn't owned any for a few years now. Pretty
pathetic really but I'll stay with it for better or worse. ;-)

Steve