Old 25-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Steve

Default New orchid society

Well, this is a post I never expected to write. Tonight I attended the
first ever meeting of the Adirondack Orchid Society. Seven of us sat
around for 2 hours discussing orchids and how to make a local Orchid
society work.
Orchid growers are few and far between around here so I don't know if we
can get enough people to keep it going or not. In fact, 2 of the 7 there
tonight don't have a single orchid and never have. Another one used to
grow some orchids but hasn't owned any for a few years now. Pretty
pathetic really but I'll stay with it for better or worse. ;-)

Steve
Old 25-02-2005, 04:19 PM
K Barrett

[thud]

[gets up, dusting self off]

Take heart. Cynthia in Prescott AZ (on OrchidSafari) started a society in
Prescott, I think there were 15 people at her 1st meeting, and it may have
dropped off from there. (but don't quote me on that).

Look at it this way, you now have 5 people who share the same interest as
you, who you didn't know before.

Next time bring a catalog, you'll get the borderline folks hooked again in
no time. Something with color photos, like Carter & Holmes. Mention the
possibility of sharing an order and splitting shipping costs. As well as
getting a supply catalog from someplace like Robert's Supplies.

It actually might be rather fun to only have a small group. After all,
usually only a small group of people ever does any work and the rest sit
around and listen, so by keeping it small it might be more intimate. Heck,
y'all could meet at a bar in a booth at the back!

Maybe the 7 (5) of you could arrange to bring your favorite orchid book to
the next meeting and maybe share them (if you can stand to part with them),
or at least allow everyone to see if they want to buy them for themselves.

Congrats!!

K Barrett

Old 25-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:19:37 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:
Look at it this way, you now have 5 people who share the same interest as
you, who you didn't know before.

It actually might be rather fun to only have a small group. After all,
usually only a small group of people ever does any work and the rest sit
around and listen, so by keeping it small it might be more intimate. Heck,
y'all could meet at a bar in a booth at the back!

Congrats!!

K Barrett

The Boulder Orchid Society ran your years with living room
meetings. The problem comes from the years when your too big for
someone's living room and too small to rent a hall.

Good Luck
Maybe you can do a plant exhibit for the local library and get
them to display their orchid books. That should get you in the
local paper which might scare up a new member or two.

Have fun.
SuE
Old 26-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Martha

Hi !

We`ve also started a new orchid society in my town just a year ago. Now
we`ve got around 20 members, and 10 more people are also coming to the
meetings. We`ve already organised one exhibition with 4000 visitors coming
to see around 100 different plants in bloom. Next show will take place in
April, we expect more vendors, more flowers and more visitors of course. The
core of the society is just a group of 5 people, who run this crazy machine.
It easy ))

greetings from Poland
Martha

Old 27-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:41:18 +0100, "Martha"
wrote:

Hi !

We`ve also started a new orchid society in my town just a year ago. Now
we`ve got around 20 members, and 10 more people are also coming to the
meetings. We`ve already organised one exhibition with 4000 visitors coming
to see around 100 different plants in bloom. Next show will take place in
April, we expect more vendors, more flowers and more visitors of course. The
core of the society is just a group of 5 people, who run this crazy machine.
It easy ))

greetings from Poland
Martha

Good work. Congratulations.
SuE

Old 27-02-2005, 02:37 AM
GARLAND HANSON

You have to have at least 25 members before the group becomes political and
stuffy. Enjoy the4 small and intimate group while you can!