Old 27-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default salt resistant plants for coastal areas

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Somebody raised this recently, meant to respond but forgot and now I
can't remember who it was.

We don't have to contend with waves/high tides flooding the garden
soil, but do get regular doses of salt blown onto plants (and windows)
in wind or rain.

My "salt resistant" list includes fatsia japonica, crinodendron
hookerianum, griselinia, escallonia, berberis, pampas, many iris,
phormiums, ivy, yucca, osmanthus, hebes, azalea and rhododendron,
trachycarpus, rosemary, leptospermum, ozothamnus, opiophogon,
agapanthus, grasses, hostas, corokia virgata, coprosma, euphorbias,
fennel, tansy, libertia, hardy fuchsias, and that angels fishing rod
thing whose name escapes me. Hard/waxy/shiny/narrow leaves let
salt-laden rain run straight off.

Known salt-resistant trees include Scots pine and oak; beech is very
sensitive. Sloe is resistant, too. I am making observations from
what grows by the sea in Cornwall.

The word you are looking for is Dierama.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.