Old 27-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default salt resistant plants for coastal areas

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Somebody raised this recently, meant to respond but forgot and now I
can't remember who it was.

We don't have to contend with waves/high tides flooding the garden
soil, but do get regular doses of salt blown onto plants (and windows)
in wind or rain.

My "salt resistant" list includes fatsia japonica, crinodendron
hookerianum, griselinia, escallonia, berberis, pampas, many iris,
phormiums, ivy, yucca, osmanthus, hebes, azalea and rhododendron,
trachycarpus, rosemary, leptospermum, ozothamnus, opiophogon,
agapanthus, grasses, hostas, corokia virgata, coprosma, euphorbias,
fennel, tansy, libertia, hardy fuchsias, and that angels fishing rod
thing whose name escapes me. Hard/waxy/shiny/narrow leaves let
salt-laden rain run straight off.

Known salt-resistant trees include Scots pine and oak; beech is very
sensitive. Sloe is resistant, too. I am making observations from
what grows by the sea in Cornwall.

The word you are looking for is Dierama.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2005, 06:15 PM
p00kie

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Somebody raised this recently, meant to respond but forgot and now I
can't remember who it was.

We don't have to contend with waves/high tides flooding the garden
soil, but do get regular doses of salt blown onto plants (and windows)
in wind or rain.

My "salt resistant" list includes fatsia japonica, crinodendron
hookerianum, griselinia, escallonia, berberis, pampas, many iris,
phormiums, ivy, yucca, osmanthus, hebes, azalea and rhododendron,
trachycarpus, rosemary, leptospermum, ozothamnus, opiophogon,
agapanthus, grasses, hostas, corokia virgata, coprosma, euphorbias,
fennel, tansy, libertia, hardy fuchsias, and that angels fishing rod
thing whose name escapes me. Hard/waxy/shiny/narrow leaves let
salt-laden rain run straight off.

Soft hairy leaves like culinary sage and senecio greyii seem more
vulnerable to damage, and my sempervivums with cupped basal rosettes of
leaves are doing very badly.

Janet.

and that angels fishing rod thing whose name escapes me. - dierama ?

Maybe Tamarisk too and some lavetarias.

If you can take a walk around the area you live in and see what's thriving
in other peoples gardens too.

Old 27-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Somebody raised this recently, meant to respond but forgot and now

can't remember who it was.

[...]

It was I -- riding in on somebody else's similar question. Many
thanks.

Now how about a list for gardens which are flooded by high tides half
a dozen times a year? (I'll provide my list next time I've been to
the garden I'm thinking of.)

Mike.

Old 28-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Now how about a list for gardens which are flooded by high tides

half
a dozen times a year? (I'll provide my list next time I've been to
the garden I'm thinking of.)

Montbretia and crocosmia, rugosa roses, primroses, marsh

marigolds,
yellow flag iris, all survive that treatment. Thrift, of course,

and
thyme.

Gosh! Primroses! I'd never have guessed. Thanks again.

Mike.