Old 28-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Shelly, this issue has come up fairly recently. I do not remember how I
found the list but feel it is a valuable adjunct to my continued education
in bonsai. I don't know how important the link to RAB is, that is for
others to decide.

My reasons for sending this are twofold:

First, we as individual users of the list (either directly or through the
digest) control what is in the archives. If we ignore the spam then it
takes very little space in the archives and could be edited out if necessary
(no, I'm not volunteering). All members of the List need to be more
responsible about replying to spam through the list. If in doubt, reply
directly to the original sender so your e-mails do not contribute to the
clutter in the archive. I know that I've recently skipped over the recent
spate of off-topic postings which have been making their way through the
list. If others had done the same, I'd have fewer postings to skip and the
archives would be less filled.

Second, if the archives are of concern (and they should be) then we should
all clip our return comments, such as this, to the original e-mail.

If we all do these two simple things, then the spam/off-topic problem will
become so minor as to be ignorable. So my post here is a plea for a bit of
personal restraint and responsibility.

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -