Old 28-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:28:46 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Bright indirect light; water when potting medium is just barely moist in the
center of the pot; feed lightly with a balanced fertilizer every 3-4
waterings; requires a day/night temperature differential to re-bloom.
Protect from temperatures above 95F and below 50F. Good growing,

If you have trouble telling if the mix is moist or dry...
Get some of the bamboo Bar-B-Q skewers and stick one into the pot
before you water. Leave it there while you go after the water.
Pull it out and look closely - is it damp on the tip or dry. If
it is in the pot for more that 30 seconds it should absorb enough
water (if available) to tell you the mix is wet (if it is). IF
dry you can safely water. If moist wait another day and check
again.

Never leave the bottom of the pot in contact with water or stones
that are in water. Either will wick water into the pot and into
the root zone. The roots want air as well as water.

These plants only grow in mix because we can not live with them
suspended in the air... we can not live with the humidity
necessary for them to grow with out mix. We like to see them
sitting up right in a pot. So we force them into that life
style.

Ortho has an inexpensive Orchid book. There is also a book in
the "Dummies" series I have heard is a good basic. I have not
yet read that one. Look at your library and at you local
bookstore or nursery for books.
SuE