Old 28-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Leonie

Default Phalaenopsis

Hi

Could anyone give me some basic instructions on how to care for a
Phalaenopsis orchid.

Thanks Leonie
Old 28-02-2005, 09:38 PM
K Barrett

Su

It likes the same temperatures that you do, so somewhere between 55-60F at
night to 80-85F day. Keep it out of drafts from heaters or airconditioners.

It likes the same humidity as you too. So 40-60% maybe a bit higher, but
not much lower.

It likes indirect light, like for an african violet, or a bit more than a
philodendron, but no light directly on the leaves for more than an hour or
two (preferable none) because they'll burn. If you wonder if your leaves
are going to burn in your chosen window, feel them with your cheek to see if
they are warm to the touch (like over 100 - running a fever).

Water it well once a week, allowing the water to run freely out the bottom
of the pot. Do not water it again until the potting medium is dry 1/2 - 1
inch down into the pot. Depending on your locale/conditions this could be
the next day or 2-3 weeks later, so some monitoring is required until you
learn. Do not allow water to stand in the crown of the plant or the axils
of the leaves because it will rot.

Feed it with any plant food, just make sure its used at 1/2 strength. Roots
will escape from the pot out into the air and are considered beautiful when
they do.

Repot into new medium every 1-2 years, unless you are worried that the
present medium is soft, mushy and smells bad. In which case go ahead and
remove the plant from the pot, cut away any soft black mushy roots, put the
plant back into a pot that will just hold whatever roots remain (they like
to be pot bound) and fill the pot with orchid bark (usually found at
nurseries). Phaleanopsis are epiphytic plants and so their roots are
unlike roots of normal plants, they do not mind if you touch them, indeed
you are supposed to touch them in order to ascertain if they are rotted.

Once the flower stalk has finished blooming cut it back to the base where it
exits the plant. These flower once a year. Sometimes twice, depending on
the parentage of the plant.

The trick really lies in not overwatering. Think of it like a succulent.

K Barrett

m...

Old 28-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Kenni Judd

Bright indirect light; water when potting medium is just barely moist in the
center of the pot; feed lightly with a balanced fertilizer every 3-4
waterings; requires a day/night temperature differential to re-bloom.
Protect from temperatures above 95F and below 50F. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 28-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:28:46 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Bright indirect light; water when potting medium is just barely moist in the
center of the pot; feed lightly with a balanced fertilizer every 3-4
waterings; requires a day/night temperature differential to re-bloom.
Protect from temperatures above 95F and below 50F. Good growing,

If you have trouble telling if the mix is moist or dry...
Get some of the bamboo Bar-B-Q skewers and stick one into the pot
before you water. Leave it there while you go after the water.
Pull it out and look closely - is it damp on the tip or dry. If
it is in the pot for more that 30 seconds it should absorb enough
water (if available) to tell you the mix is wet (if it is). IF
dry you can safely water. If moist wait another day and check
again.

Never leave the bottom of the pot in contact with water or stones
that are in water. Either will wick water into the pot and into
the root zone. The roots want air as well as water.

These plants only grow in mix because we can not live with them
suspended in the air... we can not live with the humidity
necessary for them to grow with out mix. We like to see them
sitting up right in a pot. So we force them into that life
style.

Ortho has an inexpensive Orchid book. There is also a book in
the "Dummies" series I have heard is a good basic. I have not
yet read that one. Look at your library and at you local
bookstore or nursery for books.
SuE
Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
bob

Hi Leonie:
I can only tell you what my experience was.
About 2 years ago my son, in New Jersey was ready to toss out a phal
because he thought it was dead. I rook it back to Florida with me. Did
nothing special. Place it outside in a west exposure and gave it water
on occasion it now has 7 seven stalks in bloom an 2 kikies. It has been
outside in sun at 90 deg and at night when we had cold weather, down to
the low 50's. Still going like gangbusters
Bob

Old 03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Reka

bob wrote:
Hi Leonie:
I can only tell you what my experience was.
About 2 years ago my son, in New Jersey was ready to toss out a phal
because he thought it was dead. I rook it back to Florida with me. Did
nothing special. Place it outside in a west exposure and gave it water
on occasion it now has 7 seven stalks in bloom an 2 kikies. It has been
outside in sun at 90 deg and at night when we had cold weather, down to
the low 50's. Still going like gangbusters
Bob

Take heart, all you faithless ones!
Good job, bob!

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 04-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Steve

bob wrote:
Hi Leonie:
I can only tell you what my experience was.
About 2 years ago my son, in New Jersey was ready to toss out a phal
because he thought it was dead. I rook it back to Florida with me. Did
nothing special. Place it outside in a west exposure and gave it water
on occasion it now has 7 seven stalks in bloom an 2 kikies. It has been
outside in sun at 90 deg and at night when we had cold weather, down to
the low 50's. Still going like gangbusters
Bob

Well that does it....
My orchids and I just HAVE to live in Florida for at least a few years
before I die.

Steve
Old 04-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Leonie

Thanks All for your advice, unfortunatly I live in the UK where
temperatures are cooler, so the orchid is on my kitchen windowsill. I
has some buds coming, but it has lost 2 leaves & another 1 is wilting.
I read it could have rotting roots. Should I water from the top or
bottom ? I have only been giving it a cup a week, pouring the water
away at the end of the day & the medium has looked dry each week
before watering. Should I repot it now or when it has finished
flowering ?

Please help

Thanks Leonie

Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
bob

Leonie wrote:
Thanks All for your advice, unfortunatly I live in the UK where
temperatures are cooler, so the orchid is on my kitchen windowsill. I
has some buds coming, but it has lost 2 leaves & another 1 is

wilting.
I read it could have rotting roots. Should I water from the top or
bottom ? I have only been giving it a cup a week, pouring the water
away at the end of the day & the medium has looked dry each week
before watering. Should I repot it now or when it has finished
flowering ?

Please help

Thanks Leonie

Hi Leonie

I just read about your leaf loss. I had that happen and was told the
Phals lose their lower leaves and not to worry.Mine lost two lower ones
and the plant is doing fine.
Send me your e-mail address as I lost yours from an earlier e-mail you
had sent. I have some photos of thr Phal blooms I would like to send
you.
Bob ( in cool Florida)

Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 AM
John Carruthers

Could anyone give me some basic instructions on how to care for a
Phalaenopsis orchid.

Hi Leonie, I'm also in the UK and have some phals, I usually water
them by immersing the pot in tepid water about once a fortnight at
this time of year (Once a week or more in summer). A little feed (very
weak) also helps. Be sure to do this in the morning and let them drain
well. Lower leaves do turn yellow, shrivel and fall occasionally, so
long as new ones are coming all's well. Mine live close to an east
window but not on the cill.
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Am I killing my phalaenopsis??? Isabel Burns Orchids 7 19-05-2003 02:44 AM
What results are to be expected from crossing Phalaenopsis violacea? Ted Byers Orchids 7 09-04-2003 05:20 AM
repot blooming Phalaenopsis Janice Wiegley Orchids 1 03-04-2003 05:32 PM
Art-shade Phalaenopsis Bacchae Orchids 3 06-02-2003 02:04 AM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 09:38 PM