Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Reel McKoi

"hendo" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a beat to death question!

We have a small pond in the backyard - about 12' x 5' - it was here when

we
bought the house 8 years ago. There is now much sludge on the bottom, most
likely due to my poor pond-keeping habits!

So my question is do any of the pond vacuums really work? I'm not

interested
in trying to build one myself from a Shop-Vac or similar - just want an

easy
way to get rid of several years worth of dead leaves, fish waste, etc.

Don't get the kind you have to pump by hand as they're worthless. They run
around $50. Everything jams the flap and most of the sludge ends up
suspended in the water, not in the vac's exit hose. I threw my $50 away.
Now we simply drain the whole pond, suck the mud off the bottom with a
shop-vac, hose, re-vac and fill. Nice clean clear water.... )
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...