Old 01-03-2005, 12:50 AM
hendo

Default Pond vacuum?

Sorry if this is a beat to death question!

We have a small pond in the backyard - about 12' x 5' - it was here when we
bought the house 8 years ago. There is now much sludge on the bottom, most
likely due to my poor pond-keeping habits!

So my question is do any of the pond vacuums really work? I'm not interested
in trying to build one myself from a Shop-Vac or similar - just want an easy
way to get rid of several years worth of dead leaves, fish waste, etc.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Charles

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:50:07 GMT, "hendo" wrote:

Sorry if this is a beat to death question!

We have a small pond in the backyard - about 12' x 5' - it was here when we
bought the house 8 years ago. There is now much sludge on the bottom, most
likely due to my poor pond-keeping habits!

So my question is do any of the pond vacuums really work? I'm not interested
in trying to build one myself from a Shop-Vac or similar - just want an easy
way to get rid of several years worth of dead leaves, fish waste, etc.

My Muck-vac works, except for all the pots and stuff getting in the
way. I just empty the pond and clean up the mess from time to time

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Reel McKoi

"hendo" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a beat to death question!

We have a small pond in the backyard - about 12' x 5' - it was here when

we
bought the house 8 years ago. There is now much sludge on the bottom, most
likely due to my poor pond-keeping habits!

So my question is do any of the pond vacuums really work? I'm not

interested
in trying to build one myself from a Shop-Vac or similar - just want an

easy
way to get rid of several years worth of dead leaves, fish waste, etc.

====================================
Don't get the kind you have to pump by hand as they're worthless. They run
around $50. Everything jams the flap and most of the sludge ends up
suspended in the water, not in the vac's exit hose. I threw my $50 away.
Now we simply drain the whole pond, suck the mud off the bottom with a
shop-vac, hose, re-vac and fill. Nice clean clear water.... )
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:50:07 GMT, "hendo" wrote:

Sorry if this is a beat to death question!

We have a small pond in the backyard - about 12' x 5' - it was here when we
bought the house 8 years ago. There is now much sludge on the bottom, most
likely due to my poor pond-keeping habits!

Once you get a lot of sludge, 2-3 years worth, it's better to just drain
and shovel or shop vac it out, imo.

So my question is do any of the pond vacuums really work? I'm not interested
in trying to build one myself from a Shop-Vac or similar - just want an easy
way to get rid of several years worth of dead leaves, fish waste, etc.

After you clean it, when it starts to build up a bit use the Shop-Vac on
Wet Vac (without the paper filter). Most debris tends to go to one area of
the pond "usually". YMMV. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Pond Vacuum Design bk Ponds 2 12-10-2004 07:14 PM
Pond Vacuum hire ....Bucks ? Tony M United Kingdom 25 11-06-2004 09:36 AM
Pond vacuum pixi Ponds 9 30-08-2003 10:12 PM
Lowe's Pond/Pool vacuum? Weldon Wallick Ponds 8 28-07-2003 02:12 AM
Pond vacuum/ no electriciry needed Jan Ponds 7 16-05-2003 04:56 PM