Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 AM
ant

hmmm. that might be a big consideration, yes. We'd probably be planning a
spring trip, as I am already in the US for winter times. I wouldn't have
thought of the northwest as a primary garden destination, but the climate is
mild and moist.

ant

"gregpresley" wrote in message
One other thing to think about. The gardens in the southeast are strongest
in blooming subtropical shrubs (things like azaleas and camellias). In
season, they are breathtaking - out of season, these gardens are rather
dull. The mid-atlantic has a mix of perennials and shrubs, but because the
climate can be harsh, sometimes the display is spotty - although in good
years the mix of beautiful hardwood forests and gardens can be impressive.
For consistently performing displays of both perennials and annuals, the
northwestern gardens are the best, since the summers are not too hot and
there are rarely storms to damage or destroy the display. However, this
upcoming summer may be atypical because the northwest has had very little
snow or rain this winter, and that may mean water-rationing and other
problems for gardens this summer.