Old 28-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Toni

"ant" wrote in message

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think
she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.

It makes for a fun day- if you get tired of walking you can ride the
trolley. And if you ask they will drop you off anywhere along the routes or
pick you up halfway back if you run out of steam. There are many, many
different type areas to explore from "stately" more formal areas to true
jungle. The cafe is airconditioned for a cool down- as is the wonderful
library with the comfy chairs. And you can even buy plants you admire.

--
Toni
Zone 10

Old 28-02-2005, 08:31 AM
gregpresley

One other thing to think about. The gardens in the southeast are strongest
in blooming subtropical shrubs (things like azaleas and camellias). In
season, they are breathtaking - out of season, these gardens are rather
dull. The mid-atlantic has a mix of perennials and shrubs, but because the
climate can be harsh, sometimes the display is spotty - although in good
years the mix of beautiful hardwood forests and gardens can be impressive.
For consistently performing displays of both perennials and annuals, the
northwestern gardens are the best, since the summers are not too hot and
there are rarely storms to damage or destroy the display. However, this
upcoming summer may be atypical because the northwest has had very little
snow or rain this winter, and that may mean water-rationing and other
problems for gardens this summer.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 AM
ant

hmmm. that might be a big consideration, yes. We'd probably be planning a
spring trip, as I am already in the US for winter times. I wouldn't have
thought of the northwest as a primary garden destination, but the climate is
mild and moist.

ant