Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Alex Woodward wrote:

I have a path that runs the course of the wall. Unfortunately the path
cannot be moved (Well I could, but then I'd have to clamber over the rest

of
the garden to get to the rear of the house!)

Is it possible to calculate how much soil a climber requires to fully
mature? One of the other posters says that some climbers don't need a

great
depth of soil.

I've had a look at the climbers you have suggested and all have got there
merits. When is the best time to plant. I am assuming that now is not the
best time, due to the extremely cold weather we are experiencing in the

UK.

Alex

What about knocking a hole in the path the same size as the space you were

going to take up with the pot?

With evergreens I would say spring is the best time, for me that would be
mid April (also check where the plants have been, if protected and suddenly
exposed they can suffer a shock)
As Nick says, with me its not the frost but the thaw that kills things, this
morning, the first for awhile above zero, the garden is a black mush!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk