Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Craig Cowing

On Feb 28, 2005, at 10:49 AM, wrote:

In a message dated 2/28/05 12:02:41 AM, Lee Braiden writes:
15 year-old chinese elm.* I'm trying to keep it indoors, on a window
sill.

NO, NO!!! You can't keep a Chinese elm indoors. I know, some people
will say
you can get away with it, but only certain varieties, & only if you
are very
experienced & have exactly the right conditions. This is a temperate
tree which
needs a dormant period in the winter.

snip

Iris

I'll second that. I had a couple of chinese elms that I kept indoors,
and even with additional lighting they didn't do well. They got
leggy, sending out shoots with very long internodes. Survival,
probably, but certainly not productive growth.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++