Old 28-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm

In a message dated 2/28/05 12:02:41 AM, Lee Braiden writes:
15 year-old chinese elm.* I'm trying to keep it indoors, on a window sill.

NO, NO!!! You can't keep a Chinese elm indoors. I know, some people will say
you can get away with it, but only certain varieties, & only if you are very
experienced & have exactly the right conditions. This is a temperate tree which
needs a dormant period in the winter. Where do you live?
If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, right now keep it as cool as possible,
but above freezing, until after your frost free date. Then put it outdoors,
gradually in full sun, and leave it outside forever, except for brief periods
of exhibit (a day or two). If you are in a cold climate, it should spend next

winter in a cold protected location, like a coldframe or garage.

Though the spacing of nodes on the new growth seems to be wider than
earlier growth.* I'm wondering if this is due to less light indoors?

Yes, relative to excessive heat.

Also, what is the best time/frequency/severity for pruning it?

Forget about it until you get the location straightened out. Read some books
on the subject.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++