Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 AM
Mary McHugh

Kathy wrote:
I'm new here so please forgive if you all discussed this last year, but how
do you know if mulch hay is safe? I'd like to get a couple bales of hay, or
better yet seed-free straw, for mulching potatoes and peppers. I've always
heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

Kathy

In general, mulch hay was intended for feeding but got wet or spoiled
before it was baled, or it may have been baled too far past bloom to be
of much nutritional value. High moisture/rain conditions cause mold in
the hay and is generally considered unsuitable for both equine and
bovine consumption (but for different reasons).

At most, the hay may have been sprayed with proprionic acid which tends
to retard mold formation. It's safe for animal consumption. OTOH, if
the hay is mulch hay, chances are it doesn't have proprionic acid
sprayed on it anyway.

I use my feed hay in the garden as mulch if it happens to mold.

Mary