Old 03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Dave Poole

"anon4186" wrote:

Wow, you can tell all that from that photo?

It's a bit easier for me - I have the same species in the corner
behind the TV! I was trying it outside down here, but chickened out a
couple of months ago even though our winter temperatures are supposed
to be just about mild enough for it to survive. Have you noticed that
rather pleasing creamy-white stripe along the length of each leaf
stem? If very gradually 'hardened' to full sun in summer (even the
heat-loving Hyophorbes appreciate a sheltered, warm spot outside from
June - September), that cream stripe will take on pinkish or reddish
tones. Very handsome.

I have bought several other types of palms and they
didn't grow *at all*. Even after 5 years or so they're no bigger than when
they started, whereas this one wouldn't stop growing (until now).

Some palms perform poorly as indoor plants from the outset and others
can do well for a short time only. However, there are quite a few
that can be persuaded to perform in the average home if care is taken
to address their wants. Unfortunately, there are no general rules for
this surprisingly large group of plants. Apply one set of growing
conditions to the common dwarf 'parlour palm' (Chamaedorea elegans)
for instance and it can do extremely well. Do the same to almost any
of the date palms (Phoenix sp.) and they will dwindle away over a year
or so.

If you are lucky, any adverse reaction will be limited to little or no
growth, which means that there is always a good chance that you can
get them going again. If you can take pics of your plants as before,
I'll try to identify them and provide you with tips on how to persuade
them into growth.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.