Old 26-02-2005, 04:20 PM
anon4186

Default can cold do this??

I have had this palm for years and it has grown from a little thing in a
gift basket (from tesco's I think) into a sprawling monster, growing wildly
in whatever room it happened to be in.

However, we've just moved house and it has gone downhill rapidly. It was
repotted recently but we've done that several time before with no problems,
so the only thing I can think of is the location - we've put it in the
conservatory.

This gets plenty of sunlight (not that there's been much in the month we've
been here) but also it gets very cold at night.

There are still big shoots growing in the middle, but many (at least half)
of the leaves have gone like this -

http://www.discount-aromatherapy.co.uk/manky-plant.jpg

Sooooo... what's causing this problem? Too much light? or the cold? I'm a
total newbie so I have no idea...

Old 26-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Bob Hobden

"anon4186" wrote
[...]

I bet you are still watering it as you did before? Photo seems to suggest
that.
If so it's a combination of the new cold conditions and too wet, let it dry
off and if you can't put it somewhere warmer then keep it almost dry in
winter in future.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-02-2005, 07:34 PM
anon4186

I bet you are still watering it as you did before?

Yup

If so it's a combination of the new cold conditions and too wet, let it

dry
off and if you can't put it somewhere warmer then keep it almost dry in
winter in future.

I assume if it's kept in a centrally heated house then it can be watered the
same all year round? Or do we still have to slow the watering down?

Also, as half of it looks dead is there any chance of saving it? I'm
guessing the brown bits aren't going to recover, so do we cut of the stalks
where the leaves are dead? Is there any knack to it or can we just hack
them off...?

Old 26-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"anon4186" wrote
I bet you are still watering it as you did before?

Yup

If so it's a combination of the new cold conditions and too wet, let it

dry
off and if you can't put it somewhere warmer then keep it almost dry in
winter in future.

I assume if it's kept in a centrally heated house then it can be watered
the
same all year round? Or do we still have to slow the watering down?

If the temperature is the same then it can to a certain extent, but, don't
forget the light is less in winter so it needs less water as it won't be
growing much.

Also, as half of it looks dead is there any chance of saving it? I'm
guessing the brown bits aren't going to recover, so do we cut of the
stalks
where the leaves are dead? Is there any knack to it or can we just hack
them off...?

Cut the brown bits off with a sharp knife or secateurs and the rest may
still die back a bit, but you should be able to save some if you haven't
killed the roots with the wet. Does the compost smell bad? If so repot and
check the roots when you do. If the roots are dead......... :-(

Old 02-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Dave Poole

The palm you have is Hyophorbe vershafeltii - aka the Spindle Palm
from Madagascar. It is unusual to see these included in collections,
since they are relatively uncommon. It can be tricky as a house plant
and can suffer if growing conditions are radically altered. Repotting
should not take place during winter - although it will still try to
grow, the roots are more sensitive to a combination of excess moisture
and cold conditions.

Ideally, it should remain above 15C at night as a young plant -
especially if those have been the temperatures that is has previously
enjoyed. I would bring it into a warmer place immediately and water
very carefully for the next few weeks. If the central 'spear' (new
frond) continues to grow, it would appear that only the older leaves
have been damaged. In time, given good conditions, it will develop
into a handsome specimen. Mind you, "in time" is the operative
phrase. They can grow fast when happy, but give them a set-back and
they take an age to recover.

However, it is well worth the effort - Hyophorbe makes a very graceful
palm with semi-erect fronds so that even when large, it takes up
relatively little space. Spray the foliage regularly and feed with
half strength general liquid fertiliser every month from May to
October and every 8 - 10 weeks at other times. It seems to do better
when slightly pot-bound, so repotting should only be considered when
the container is stuffed with roots. Good luck.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
anon4186

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
The palm you have is Hyophorbe vershafeltii - aka the Spindle Palm
from Madagascar. It is unusual to see these included in collections,

Wow, you can tell all that from that photo? But it's good to know what it
so I can buy more. I have bought several other types of palms and they
didn't grow *at all*. Even after 5 years or so they're no bigger than when
they started, whereas this one wouldn't stop growing (until now).

Thanks for the advice, I will try not to kill it as it was a rather nice
plant...

Old 03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Dave Poole

"anon4186" wrote:

Wow, you can tell all that from that photo?

It's a bit easier for me - I have the same species in the corner
behind the TV! I was trying it outside down here, but chickened out a
couple of months ago even though our winter temperatures are supposed
to be just about mild enough for it to survive. Have you noticed that
rather pleasing creamy-white stripe along the length of each leaf
stem? If very gradually 'hardened' to full sun in summer (even the
heat-loving Hyophorbes appreciate a sheltered, warm spot outside from
June - September), that cream stripe will take on pinkish or reddish
tones. Very handsome.

I have bought several other types of palms and they
didn't grow *at all*. Even after 5 years or so they're no bigger than when
they started, whereas this one wouldn't stop growing (until now).

Some palms perform poorly as indoor plants from the outset and others
can do well for a short time only. However, there are quite a few
that can be persuaded to perform in the average home if care is taken
to address their wants. Unfortunately, there are no general rules for
this surprisingly large group of plants. Apply one set of growing
conditions to the common dwarf 'parlour palm' (Chamaedorea elegans)
for instance and it can do extremely well. Do the same to almost any
of the date palms (Phoenix sp.) and they will dwindle away over a year
or so.

If you are lucky, any adverse reaction will be limited to little or no
growth, which means that there is always a good chance that you can
get them going again. If you can take pics of your plants as before,
I'll try to identify them and provide you with tips on how to persuade
them into growth.