Old 04-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: Being a gas engineer myself I know that a DIYer isn't as competent
:: as me,getting corgi reg now adays is a very thorough process.The
:: ACS gas certificate you have to do every five years is even more
:: thorough!That's why I think there is a trade shortage because the
:: cow boy DIYers have been run out of town ,especially now the
:: homeowner are more aware of this.If you are not corgi reg & ACS
:: trained the you are not competent!
::

I have to disagree with this.
Being a member of corgi makes you competent but anyone who isn't, regardless
of the time they've been doing it, is a cowboy?
I don't buy into this kind of thing at all, you aren't automatically a
green-fingered miracle worker because you join the RHS...this kind of
legislation has gone too far - you are breaking the law now if you decide to
replace a window frame in your home!!
I agree that gas plumbing can be dangerous and not for the permanently
baffled to attempt, but anyone with a degree of common sense and water
plumbing know-how can do it.
Membership of a government sponsored boys club doesn't automatically make
you a safe plumber! - I've seen some of the shoddiest workmanship imaginable
from Corgi registered 'plumbers'.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/