Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Roger Hembury

Default Greenhouse heating

Hi All,

Thinking of getting an Eden Professional propane greenhouse heater -
http://www.keengardener.co.uk/heaters.htm

Does anyone have any experience of these and why according to the website
would I need it to be installed by a Corgi registered installer? It says for
my safety, but is this really necessary, are they just covering their backs
in case I blow my greenhouse up?

TIA

Roger

Old 03-03-2005, 09:13 AM
keith ;-\)

All gas appliances/installations should be installed by a qualified gas
engineer/plumber who is corgi registered by law.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Martin Brown

Roger Hembury wrote:

Hi All,

Thinking of getting an Eden Professional propane greenhouse heater -
http://www.keengardener.co.uk/heaters.htm

Does anyone have any experience of these and why according to the website
would I need it to be installed by a Corgi registered installer? It says for
my safety, but is this really necessary, are they just covering their backs
in case I blow my greenhouse up?

Someone a few miles down the road from us installed their own domestic
propane heating system. They must have made a mistake since the bang was
heard over a wide area and the burnt out shell of the building remained
for a very long time as their house insurance was voided.

ISTR it is a legal requirement that qualified gas fitters must install.

Do you really want to risk a gas explosion inside a glass greenhouse?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
JB

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:13:40 GMT, "keith ;-\)"

All gas appliances/installations should be installed by a qualified gas
engineer/plumber who is corgi registered by law.

This presumably doesn't apply if you are running this off bottled gas
(otherwise it would be impossible to have freestanding gas heaters)

Are these really sigificantly better / cheaper than using electric
heaters?

JB

Old 03-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JB
writes
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:13:40 GMT, "keith ;-\)"

All gas appliances/installations should be installed by a qualified gas
engineer/plumber who is corgi registered by law.

This presumably doesn't apply if you are running this off bottled gas
(otherwise it would be impossible to have freestanding gas heaters)

If you mean the type that have an integral bottle, or connect via a
flexible pipe direct to the bottle then no as these aren't 'installed'
in that sense. But then they tend to cost more to buy

Are these really sigificantly better / cheaper than using electric
heaters?

The are probably cheaper to run, but you need to ensure enough
ventilation, for air supply, for waste gas removal, and for the extra
water vapour produced. for the 'normal' domestic garden I don't think
the cost savings are really worth the effort.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 04-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: Being a gas engineer myself I know that a DIYer isn't as competent
:: as me,getting corgi reg now adays is a very thorough process.The
:: ACS gas certificate you have to do every five years is even more
:: thorough!That's why I think there is a trade shortage because the
:: cow boy DIYers have been run out of town ,especially now the
:: homeowner are more aware of this.If you are not corgi reg & ACS
:: trained the you are not competent!
::

I have to disagree with this.
Being a member of corgi makes you competent but anyone who isn't, regardless
of the time they've been doing it, is a cowboy?
I don't buy into this kind of thing at all, you aren't automatically a
green-fingered miracle worker because you join the RHS...this kind of
legislation has gone too far - you are breaking the law now if you decide to
replace a window frame in your home!!
I agree that gas plumbing can be dangerous and not for the permanently
baffled to attempt, but anyone with a degree of common sense and water
plumbing know-how can do it.
Membership of a government sponsored boys club doesn't automatically make
you a safe plumber! - I've seen some of the shoddiest workmanship imaginable
from Corgi registered 'plumbers'.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 04-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:35:15 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Roger Hembury wrote:

[...]

It's my understanding that the gas regulations are not quite as most
people believe.

If a person carries out a gas installation and charges for it, then
that person _must_by_law_ be a registered CORGI engineer.

But gas installations can be carried out without charge by a
'competent' person. The key word here is 'competent'. If an
installation goes wrong, then 'incompetence' is certainly indicated,
but if a skilled d-i-y-er uses the correct materials, does all the
correct tests and makes no charge, then it's not illegal AIUI.

I believe an acceptable alternative is to get the installation carried
out by a non-CORGI (but competent) engineer and then have it checked
and approved by one registered with CORGI before it's used.

But you should ask on uk.d-i-y for a better-informed view than mine.

--
Chris