Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
dps

...clip...No income, no tax.

I don't have my tax return in front of me, but I seem to remember a line
to the effect "Did you engage in any bartering transactions in 2004?".
I've never checked that, but it appears that the feds want to tax that
sort of thing as income also.

I do support the concept of local taxes. At least in a small town, your
tax money is spent on things that benefit you fairly directly, such as
roads, schools, and emergency personnel. The farther you get from local
(county, state, federal), the more indirect the benefits become, so that
by the federal level, the return on investment is very tenuous. In
addition, the small (local) government is IME less bureaucratic than the
large ones and thereby more efficient.