Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Tax Man

Default OT Get ready America

Get ready Americans for the biggest screwing in all history. For some
time I have worried that the consumption tax (national sales tax) to
replace our income tax idea would take hold. This would be a nightmare
for low and middle income people. There is more and more talk every day
for this. Now that old geezer Greenspan is saying it is a good idea. He
adds that maybe we should also keep the income tax and have both. Since
the consumption tax would be a rich man's dream, that is probably what
we will end up with. With a consumption tax, the low and middle income
earners would pay all of the tax and the rich man would pay even less.
Americans had better start raising hell with their congressmen and
senators now to stop this before it gains anymore momentum. The only
fair income tax replacement would be a flat tax with the standard
deduction and the family member exemptions and no other deductions or
loopholes. Please help spread the word.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:46 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:25:18 GMT, Tax Man
wrote:
[...]

We're already getting plenty screwed by taxes, or are you happy with
the way things are? In this situation I don't see that changing
things will make them worse. Why would a consumption tax be a rich
man's dream? You buy a yacht and you pay the taxes.

The tax that I really hate is the property tax. This is the one tax
that you cannot avoid paying for. No matter how low you cut your
expenditures, you can never cut this one. You can raise your own
food, patch your clothes, not spend money on cable, toys or other
trifles, but this tax won't care about that. It won't care if you're
old or sick or out of work. In effect, its government rent on living
on your property.

IMO income or consumption taxes are the only fair taxes, and I think a
combination would be best.

No income, no tax.

Of course there's a limit to how little consumption you can do -- you
have to eat, and you have to buy clothes and other things. Most
states have limits on what is taxed by their sales taxes, and this
should work the same way.

As for the rich man paying less, one part of being rich is that things
like taxes don't affect you as much as other people, though they do an
awful lot of crying about it. I also hear a lot of so called middle
income folks crying about having to pay taxes, but they own SUVs or
mini-vans, large screen digital TVs, designer jeans, and each of their
kids has a cell phone and often a car (not used either). Cut me a
break. Don't cry poverty if its not a fact.

As long as its fair, and tax loopholes are limited and are not just
for the rich, then I'm fine with it. I want to see changes in the tax
system.

The problem is if the people designing this are not interested in
fairness but in paying as little as possible for themselves or their
interest groups (not just the rich either). But that's a different
topic altogether.

Swyck
Old 04-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Frank Logullo

"Tax Man" wrote in message
Get ready Americans for the biggest screwing in all history. For some
time I have worried that the consumption tax (national sales tax) to
replace our income tax idea would take hold. This would be a nightmare
for low and middle income people. There is more and more talk every day
for this. Now that old geezer Greenspan is saying it is a good idea. He
adds that maybe we should also keep the income tax and have both.

I am 100% against this. Just look at our friends in the UK with 19% VAT
(value added tax).

Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
dps

Did I hear that they're thinking about taxing your computers also?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
...VAT is only 17.5 %. On almost every item AND service we buy. That's on
top of income tax, local tax, compulsory "National Insurance", and
taxes on fuel, property sales, inheritance, capital gains, etc etc etc..

Janet (UK)

Old 10-03-2005, 03:53 PM

How much per month do you pay for health care? Do you get health care if you arent
working? Ingrid

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Oh no Frank, you're soooo wrong :-)

VAT is only 17.5 %. On almost every item AND service we buy. That's on
top of income tax, local tax, compulsory "National Insurance", and
taxes on fuel, property sales, inheritance, capital gains, etc etc etc..

Janet (UK)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

[IMG] code is On

DIY frenzy to get the pond ready for winter... Theo van Daele Ponds 9 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
OT Get ready America figaro Gardening 0 06-03-2005 03:32 PM
OT Get Ready America Tax Man Edible Gardening 19 06-03-2005 03:09 PM
Get lawn and garden ready for spring! (LandSteward Article) Earl Gardening 0 24-02-2005 05:25 PM
Get the pond ready for winter Rick Ponds 3 02-10-2004 07:24 AM