Old 04-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:40:03 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it opened. I'd
like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance fee? Also, any
recommendations of budget accommodation would be good, too. I've been
looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there don't seem to be any
in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my income is £110pw (that's DLA),
so I need to budget rather strictly (though I have thought it might be
rather fun to challenge myself and see what the minimum daily survival
amount would be).

I found it extremely interesting, but don't expect a pretty garden,
which it's not intended to be. It's prime purpose is educational, i.e.
what plants provide many of our daily foods, spices, materials etc.
and the range of environments they grow in, from humid tropics to
mediterranean and desert (AIUI they're building a separate desert
biome but I don't think it's anywhere near ready yet). If you go
preparing to be educated, then you'll enjoy it. The scale of the place
is impressive, too.

As for accommodation, it sounds as if you want farm houses, pubs and
B&B. Try the links below.

http://www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk/accommodation/

www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/

www.fowey.co.uk/