Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Slightly OT (well it's still botanical!) Has anyone been to The Eden Project?

I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it opened. I'd
like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance fee? Also, any
recommendations of budget accommodation would be good, too. I've been
looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there don't seem to be any
in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my income is £110pw (that's DLA),
so I need to budget rather strictly (though I have thought it might be
rather fun to challenge myself and see what the minimum daily survival
amount would be).

I also want to take this opportunity to get fit as I am grossly overweight
(not entirely through the normal means - it's also caused by things you
blokes don't have to worry about - though I am dreadfully unfit). Are there
parts of Cornwall you would recommend for scenic walks for someone who's
furthest is the 800-odd yard round trip to the cornershop for the paper? I
wanted to do the Tintagel Trail, but it looks a bit steep for me!

Once again, I apologise for posting off-topic, but it seemed
semi-appropriate to ask here. I don't know anything about gardening (only
that I'm not much good at it!) so I came here to learn (and I have -
hugely).

I just wish there were more places round here that didn't require a car (I
don't drive) - Gerrards Cross (as some of you know) doesn't appear to
feature in the govt's public transport initiative, being as there is one bus
every 2-2½ hours - mostly at inconvenient times (and that's when it shows at
all!)

Thanks folks,

Sarah

--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
andrewpreece

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
[...]

I've been to the Eden Project. Whether it's worth the entrance fee is a
matter of opinion, it's certainly
interesting, though a touch soulless if I was to be pushed for an opinion.
It's a grand project but I just think it has a sort of new age modernity
about it that isn't charming. There are those odd Japanese type flags
fluttering every where ( the ones that are taller than they are wide ), and
they don't have Christmas at Eden, they have 'A Time For Gifts' - how PC is
that!?

It tends to be busy as you like during the main season so don't go
on a bank holiday or weekend or during the main holiday season else you have
to queue in a zigzag holding pen, they have signs saying things like 'you
have 1 hour to wait' etc, depending on your position. Unless it's changed
the wait can exceed that I believe on busy days. I went a couple of years
back and they were still trying to get the place mature then, I suspect that
there'll be larger plants and more features there. One of the biomes has
birds and reptiles in it.

On a practical note there is a little fake choo-choo thing that'll
take you down into the quarry if you're not to good at steep slopes.

Cornwall tends to be upsy-downsy by its natu last year I did a
trail up by Port Isaac that probably had more ups and downs than actual the
actual horizontal distance involved. All I can say is get the Landranger
maps and check out the height contours, or buy a guide. I will be going to
Eden myself in May, as a friend and his partner are going. They are staying
in Newquay and taking the bus out there I believe. I don't know the name of
his hotel/accomodation I'm afraid. There is a delightful YHA hostel in
Salcombe, Devon btw if you ever end up that way, but again the approaches
are steep ( the views are worth it though ), though the public transport
situation can't be very good.

Finally, if you like gardens and what not and can get transport try
the Lost Gardens of Heligan, that's a previous project of that Smits chap
that did Eden, it's an old house and gardens that went into decline at the
end of WWI, and it has now been restored, along with walled gardens and
walks etc, and it has the drop on Eden by being a real place with history
IMO.

Andy.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Warwick

In article , =20
says...
I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls=20
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it opened. I=

'd=20
like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance fee? Also, any=

=20
recommendations of budget accommodation would be good, too. I've been=20
looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there don't seem to be a=

ny=20
in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my income is =A3110pw (that's =

DLA),=20
so I need to budget rather strictly (though I have thought it might be=20
rather fun to challenge myself and see what the minimum daily survival=20
amount would be).

We went to the Eden Project in May 2003. It is impressive. The site is=20
large and presumably two years down the line the planting will be that=20
much more advanced. We found the place to be a bit clinical and lacking=20
that loved feeling that you get in many gardens. The outside planting=20
was still fairly immature when we went and there was no flow to the=20
place. The domes were full of mildly interesting stuff, but we felt=20
rushed by the press of people even in May. Once you got back outside it=20
felt kind of bleak and empty. The ticketing is geared up to get as much=20
cash as possible utilising 'gift aid' to claw taxed income back from the=20
inland revenue, but the discount price was OK. The gift shop was as=20
expensive as you'd expect and the food area was very expensive so take a=20
packed lunch.

If you can get there by public transport, I'd recommend the Lost Gardens=20
at Heligan over Eden by a long way. There was so much to see and the=20
place felt so much more welcoming. The prices for a cream tea were=20
steep, but not extravagent and the plants were a touch on the expensive=20
side (just enough to stop me buying a couple of azaleas).

For an even more loved garden, although not quite so much to see, I'd=20
recommend Pencarrow. The cafe was a bit spartan, but not expensive and=20
the plants for sale were hidden in a corner that we almost didn't notice=20
with very low prices and a requirement for you to be honest and pay for=20
them in the cafe please.

Our holiday in Cornwall was our first with a dog and the last before our=20
first child arrived. Eden doesn't let dogs on the site, although they=20
have a special parking area under cover to leave cars with dogs in.=20
Heligan lets dogs in on leads. Pencarrow asks you not to let dogs off=20
the lead in the formal gardens.

We paid attention to the child orientation of the places too.

Eden is geared up to be educational, there were packs to pick up with=20
various bits of fun for the children an lots of informative signs etc.

Heligan is much more adult, although the sculptures they've made in the=20
grounds are fun and the layout of the place should keep children=20
entertained.=20

Pencarrow had signs saying "Please encourage your children to roll down=20
the slopes and enjoy themselves as we, our children and grandchildren=20
have had many happy times playing in the gardens"

If you want to have a look at our pictures of the three places, our=20
album is online at

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/a...May/index.html

Obviously Eden will be a bit more along in the outside planting by now,=20
but the series of picture for that start at..

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/a...des/eden1.html

We'll probably holiday in Cornwall again in the future. We'll always go=20
back to Pencarrow, we'll go to Eden once more as an educational thing=20
with DD and I'm not sure if we'll ever go back to Heligan in the next=20
decade.

Saying that, May should be a nice time to go and visit any of the=20
informal gardens you can get to that have large collections of Azaleas=20
and Rhodos.

Warwick
Old 03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
JennyC

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it opened. I'd
like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance fee? Also, any
recommendations of budget accommodation would be good, too. I've been
looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there don't seem to be any
in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my income is £110pw (that's DLA),
so I need to budget rather strictly (though I have thought it might be
rather fun to challenge myself and see what the minimum daily survival
amount would be).

We were there while it was being built, and very impressive it looked. Not been
abck since...
The following site has laods of info, pictures and addresses for B&B etc:
http://www.eden-project.co.uk/

I also want to take this opportunity to get fit as I am grossly overweight
(not entirely through the normal means - it's also caused by things you
blokes don't have to worry about - though I am dreadfully unfit). Are there
parts of Cornwall you would recommend for scenic walks for someone who's
furthest is the 800-odd yard round trip to the cornershop for the paper? I
wanted to do the Tintagel Trail, but it looks a bit steep for me!

Might be an idea to get a bit fit first !! The hills over there are steep :~)

Old 04-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:40:03 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it opened. I'd
like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance fee? Also, any
recommendations of budget accommodation would be good, too. I've been
looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there don't seem to be any
in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my income is £110pw (that's DLA),
so I need to budget rather strictly (though I have thought it might be
rather fun to challenge myself and see what the minimum daily survival
amount would be).

I found it extremely interesting, but don't expect a pretty garden,
which it's not intended to be. It's prime purpose is educational, i.e.
what plants provide many of our daily foods, spices, materials etc.
and the range of environments they grow in, from humid tropics to
mediterranean and desert (AIUI they're building a separate desert
biome but I don't think it's anywhere near ready yet). If you go
preparing to be educated, then you'll enjoy it. The scale of the place
is impressive, too.

As for accommodation, it sounds as if you want farm houses, pubs and
B&B. Try the links below.

http://www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk/accommodation/

www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/

www.fowey.co.uk/

www.newquay.co.uk/

www.bargain-bucket.com

--
Chris

Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Victoria Clare

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in
:

I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it
opened. I'd like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the entrance
fee? Also, any recommendations of budget accommodation would be good,
too. I've been looking at hostels (I'm a member of the YHA) but there
don't seem to be any in the vicinity. Just to give you an idea, my
income is £110pw (that's DLA), so I need to budget rather strictly
(though I have thought it might be rather fun to challenge myself and
see what the minimum daily survival amount would be).

There are hostels in Padstow and Fowey: both are lovely places, though I
don't know what the hostels themselves are like. I suspect you may have
some difficulty getting to and from them without a car though. Buses tend
to be a bit irregular. but you did say you wanted to get fit...

If I were on a strict budget, I think I'd be inclined to skip Eden: it is
expensive, and I'm not sure it's really worth the money, though it does
have the advantage that there is loads of public transport going there from
all over, so it would be easy to get to.

I think the gardens I've been to are mostly distributed along the South
coast - the north one is a bit less sheltered. Trebah is very pretty, and
I also like Mount Edgecombe (which is owned by Plymouth Council, so free
access to the grounds!)

From memory, I think the Camel Estuary is about as flat as it gets round
here, and you can hire bikes too.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 07-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Victoria Clare wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in
:

I am planning to go away late Spring/early Summer (my birthday

falls
mid-May) and I've been promising myself I'd visit Eden since it
opened. I'd like to hear others' opinions, was it worth the

entrance
fee?[...]

If I were on a strict budget, I think I'd be inclined to skip Eden:
it is expensive, and I'm not sure it's really worth the money,

[...]

I haven't visited, but I'm uncomfortable about the Eden project. I
love the great glasshouse at the Nat Bot Garden of Wales, though --
they don't get anything like the number of visitors they should. It's
fascinating to see a collection in its infancy. Wondrous bacon and
stuff in Carmarthen Market, too!

Mike.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"Victoria Clare" wrote after...
[...]

From memory, I think the Camel Estuary is about as flat as it gets round
here, and you can hire bikes too.

Having literally just arrived back from near Camelford...

I think everyone should do Eden and the Lost gardens of Heligan once and
make up their own mind, that said we both prefer the Lost gardens to Eden
which seemed a bit of a tourist trap to us.
Some excellent gardens in that part of Cornwall though, some NT and others
private. Caerhays Castle, Cotehele, Lanhydrok, Mount Edgecumbe, Tregrehan,
Trebah, to name but a few.
Search the net and see what you fancy seeing, depends on your interests.

--
Regards
Bob