Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Elaine T wrote:

basserman wrote:

I see those 3 number on a lot of fertilizers. The FloraPride that I
use has 0-0-3, but I'm not sure what all that means. LFS guy told me
it would help the plants, but not start an algae bloom.

Any idea what the 3 different numbers indicate?

Thanks.

Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potash (potassium or K).

Usually fishtanks have plenty of nitrogen and phosphorus so you want to
only add potash.

Never asume nutin! I made this mistake and had nitrogen deficiencies for
years.

You have your tank water.

You have your tap water.

You have what you want your tank water to be.

Our job as aquarists is to find out what we have and turn it into
what we want.

Touche! Even as I write I'm glancing over at my betta's tank where
there's a cyanobacter bloom. I'm thinking a nice, big water change with
my 20 ppm nitrate drinking water should set things straight.

I still think "usually" is fair for adding K as the only macronutrient,
though. Joe or Jane average fishkeeper typically has over 1 inch per
gallon of fish and 3-4 struggling, underlit plants.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__