Old 03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
DNT

Default Aquatic Plant Fertilizer & Fish

Does anyone know if Little Giant Aquatic Plant Fertilizer (10-14-8) can be
used in a planted aquarium with fish? I bought it for a pond but I'm having
problems with algae in my tank and I thought it might be because I've been
using liquid plant food. I can't find any aquarium plant tablets around here
and thought this might work. TIA
Denise

Old 04-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Richard Sexton

In article 7HMVd.65860$Dc.27620@trnddc06, DNT wrote:
Does anyone know if Little Giant Aquatic Plant Fertilizer (10-14-8) can be
used in a planted aquarium with fish? I bought it for a pond but I'm having
problems with algae in my tank and I thought it might be because I've been
using liquid plant food. I can't find any aquarium plant tablets around here
and thought this might work. TIA

What are the ingredients?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 04-03-2005, 05:16 PM
DNT

Good question... The label says : Derived from: Ammonium Phosphate,Potassium
Nitrate, Urea Formaldehyde, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulphate,
Copper Sulfate, Boric Acid, and Sodium Molybdenum. Does that help?

Old 04-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Richard Sexton

In article LJ0Wd.74464$uc.17427@trnddc04, DNT wrote:
Good question... The label says : Derived from: Ammonium Phosphate,Potassium
Nitrate, Urea Formaldehyde, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulphate,
Copper Sulfate, Boric Acid, and Sodium Molybdenum. Does that help?
Denise

Yeah, don't use it. Any form of ammonia or ammonium is to be avoided.

Urea is also ammonia for all intents and purposes.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
basserman

I see those 3 number on a lot of fertilizers. The FloraPride that I
use has 0-0-3, but I'm not sure what all that means. LFS guy told me
it would help the plants, but not start an algae bloom.

Any idea what the 3 different numbers indicate?

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Elaine T

basserman wrote:
I see those 3 number on a lot of fertilizers. The FloraPride that I
use has 0-0-3, but I'm not sure what all that means. LFS guy told me
it would help the plants, but not start an algae bloom.

Any idea what the 3 different numbers indicate?

Thanks.

Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potash (potassium or K).

Usually fishtanks have plenty of nitrogen and phosphorus so you want to
only add potash. I think the numbers are percentage by weight, but
hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Elaine T wrote:
basserman wrote:
I see those 3 number on a lot of fertilizers. The FloraPride that I
use has 0-0-3, but I'm not sure what all that means. LFS guy told me
it would help the plants, but not start an algae bloom.

Any idea what the 3 different numbers indicate?

Thanks.

Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potash (potassium or K).

Usually fishtanks have plenty of nitrogen and phosphorus so you want to
only add potash.

Never asume nutin! I made this mistake and had nitrogen deficiencies for
years.

You have your tank water.

You have your tap water.

You have what you want your tank water to be.

Our job as aquarists is to find out what we have and turn it into
what we want.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Elaine T wrote:

basserman wrote:

I see those 3 number on a lot of fertilizers. The FloraPride that I
use has 0-0-3, but I'm not sure what all that means. LFS guy told me
it would help the plants, but not start an algae bloom.

Any idea what the 3 different numbers indicate?

Thanks.

Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potash (potassium or K).

Usually fishtanks have plenty of nitrogen and phosphorus so you want to
only add potash.

Never asume nutin! I made this mistake and had nitrogen deficiencies for
years.

You have your tank water.

You have your tap water.

You have what you want your tank water to be.

Our job as aquarists is to find out what we have and turn it into
what we want.

Touche! Even as I write I'm glancing over at my betta's tank where
there's a cyanobacter bloom. I'm thinking a nice, big water change with
my 20 ppm nitrate drinking water should set things straight.

I still think "usually" is fair for adding K as the only macronutrient,
though. Joe or Jane average fishkeeper typically has over 1 inch per
gallon of fish and 3-4 struggling, underlit plants.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 04-04-2005, 06:05 AM