Old 04-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:35:15 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Roger Hembury wrote:

Hi All,

Thinking of getting an Eden Professional propane greenhouse heater -
http://www.keengardener.co.uk/heaters.htm

Does anyone have any experience of these and why according to the website
would I need it to be installed by a Corgi registered installer? It says for
my safety, but is this really necessary, are they just covering their backs
in case I blow my greenhouse up?

Someone a few miles down the road from us installed their own domestic
propane heating system. They must have made a mistake since the bang was
heard over a wide area and the burnt out shell of the building remained
for a very long time as their house insurance was voided.

ISTR it is a legal requirement that qualified gas fitters must install.

Do you really want to risk a gas explosion inside a glass greenhouse?

Regards,
Martin Brown

It's my understanding that the gas regulations are not quite as most
people believe.

If a person carries out a gas installation and charges for it, then
that person _must_by_law_ be a registered CORGI engineer.

But gas installations can be carried out without charge by a
'competent' person. The key word here is 'competent'. If an
installation goes wrong, then 'incompetence' is certainly indicated,
but if a skilled d-i-y-er uses the correct materials, does all the
correct tests and makes no charge, then it's not illegal AIUI.

I believe an acceptable alternative is to get the installation carried
out by a non-CORGI (but competent) engineer and then have it checked
and approved by one registered with CORGI before it's used.

But you should ask on uk.d-i-y for a better-informed view than mine.

--
Chris