Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Gavsta

Default Noob help

Hi,

I moved into my new house last year, and although the front garden is
landscaped by the developers they simply leave the back garden with a rough
layer of top soil and nothin else.

Over the past weeks I have been removing all the stones out of the siol and
digging it over, I hired a rotorvator the weekend before last and gave the
garden a good going over. There were a few very soggy bits that I dug a lot
(1 1/2 tons) of sharp sand into to try and break the soil up a bit. That has
seesmed to have worked which is nice.

The weekend just gone I have layered the top with 1200 liters of garden peat
and then layed a lot of grass seed down with a hope that a lawn will
develop.

I am at a loss now as to what to do now.

I realise that I have to wait for the grass to establish but in the mean
time I want to have an idea of how I want the garden to look and what to put
in it.

Its westerly facing, about 15 meters long by about 9 wide. I wanted to have
a deck at the back, but thats as far as I have got.

Whats good for a bit of screening around the outsides, I thought maybe
Bamboo, but I hear that it can be quite invasive.

Basically I would love to hear any ideas to reasonably quickly get the
garden looking nice and what you guys recommend.

Cheers!

--
Gavsta.

e: gwilby [at] stoof [dot] co [dot] uk