Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Gavsta

Default Noob help

Hi,

I moved into my new house last year, and although the front garden is
landscaped by the developers they simply leave the back garden with a rough
layer of top soil and nothin else.

Over the past weeks I have been removing all the stones out of the siol and
digging it over, I hired a rotorvator the weekend before last and gave the
garden a good going over. There were a few very soggy bits that I dug a lot
(1 1/2 tons) of sharp sand into to try and break the soil up a bit. That has
seesmed to have worked which is nice.

The weekend just gone I have layered the top with 1200 liters of garden peat
and then layed a lot of grass seed down with a hope that a lawn will
develop.

I am at a loss now as to what to do now.

I realise that I have to wait for the grass to establish but in the mean
time I want to have an idea of how I want the garden to look and what to put
in it.

Its westerly facing, about 15 meters long by about 9 wide. I wanted to have
a deck at the back, but thats as far as I have got.

Whats good for a bit of screening around the outsides, I thought maybe
Bamboo, but I hear that it can be quite invasive.

Basically I would love to hear any ideas to reasonably quickly get the
garden looking nice and what you guys recommend.

Cheers!

--
Gavsta.

e: gwilby [at] stoof [dot] co [dot] uk
msn: gavsta2k [at] hotmail [dot] com
Web: http://www.stoof.co.uk

Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 PM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from " Gavsta" contains these words:

The weekend just gone I have layered the top with 1200 liters of
garden peat
and then layed a lot of grass seed down with a hope that a lawn will
develop.

Depends where you live. I'd have waited till frost/snow were past.
Peat would not be a good addition to soggy areas.

Basically I would love to hear any ideas to reasonably quickly get the
garden looking nice and what you guys recommend.

Mistakes can be made in a hurry; making a garden takes considerably
longer, and making it look nice is a longterm commitment. Borrow some
books from the library to give yourself an idea of what's possible, and
help you work out what you want to use the garden for.
Janet.

Depends indeed what your tastes are. This might vary from Japanese moss garden
to a formal box hedged space with marble fountains :~))

I have quite a few links about garden design on my garden home page:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenlinks.htm which might be useful.......I do
however tend to 'modern' and like Dermuid Gavin :~))

Jenny

Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Paul Corfield

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:47:51 -0000, " Gavsta" wrote:

Hi,

I moved into my new house last year, and although the front garden is
landscaped by the developers they simply leave the back garden with a rough
layer of top soil and nothin else.

[snip]
Basically I would love to hear any ideas to reasonably quickly get the
garden looking nice and what you guys recommend.

Another refugee from ukrm!!

It would help to say you're in the Isle of Man as that will inform the
gang here about likely weather conditions - wet and windy - and that
will be a guide to the plants. Also are you very close to the sea as
salt in the air will also affect the plants that are best to grow?

I am in pretty much the same situation as you in terms of starting a
garden although I have some inheritance from previous owners. I still
haven't a full idea as to what I would like. I have watched plenty of
garden programmes to at least get some idea about plants, bought some
books, looked in peoples' gardens to see if there is anything I like,
visited the Hampton Court flower show and also visited some local open
days for the National Garden Scheme. I also photographed those gardens
and the plants I particularly liked. Oh and I popped down to Columbia
Road Market on a Sunday morning which was great fun. I'm a bit spoilt
having some of those resources to hand but I am remote from decent
nurseries and don't have a car to lug bags of compost and lots of
plants.

I now feel I have some "building blocks" of knowledge and need to sit
down and work out what I would like to try and then attempt to make a
plan. Then comes the implementation phase.

I think the general advice would be do some research but don't take too
long, think about what you'd like to use the garden for, work out how
the sun passes over the garden (full sun, partial shade, nearly all
shady) and the draw up a plan. As has already been said you won't really
achieve an instant garden in one growing season - it'll take about 3
years for decent growth to work its way through. Have fun.
--
Paul C

Noob improving lawn help burns Lawns 3 21-07-2008 05:05 PM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 12 28-01-2004 03:18 AM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 0 15-01-2004 05:39 PM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 29-03-2003 03:20 AM