Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Stephen Poley

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:22:13 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Suggestions, please, for a shrub (whose berries will be left for birds
to eat), for a very small, shaded garden (not mine) in the Midlands. It
has heavy clay soil, waterlogged in winter (yes, it's a nightmare!).

The only thing I can think of that meets the criteria is cotoneaster
horizontalis. Most of my garden is shaded as I have a lot of mature trees,
and the soil is heavy clay. It gets very sticky in the winter although I
wouldn't called it waterlogged. C.H. survives here. Has red berries which
the blackbirds have now eaten up completely.

Pyracantha perhaps? It seems fairly indestructible and our soil is
pretty heavy and definitely wet (not just in winter).

--
Stephen Poley
uk.rec.birdwatching FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrb.htm