Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Andy Mabbett

Default Berry bearing small shrub

Suggestions, please, for a shrub (whose berries will be left for birds
to eat), for a very small, shaded garden (not mine) in the Midlands. It
has heavy clay soil, waterlogged in winter (yes, it's a nightmare!).

Thank you.
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Old 07-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Mike

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/

Why?

We had them in WWII and did no harm.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
::: Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
::
:: Why?
::
:: We had them in WWII and did no harm.

1) In 1949 they didn't have the technology to reproduce them as easily as
these will be reproduced, making them utterly useless - if they are not
total, IE 100% of people using them, they are a waste of time at combatting
the crimes they are deigned to curtail.

2) Can you trust this government to get it right? - can you trust them not
to waste billions of pounds every year for maybe a decade upon something
that will fall by the wayside like the CSA, Millenium Dome and umpteen other
white elephants?

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 07-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Christina Websell

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Suggestions, please, for a shrub (whose berries will be left for birds
to eat), for a very small, shaded garden (not mine) in the Midlands. It
has heavy clay soil, waterlogged in winter (yes, it's a nightmare!).

Thank you.
--
Andy Mabbett

The only thing I can think of that meets the criteria is cotoneaster
horizontalis. Most of my garden is shaded as I have a lot of mature trees,
and the soil is heavy clay. It gets very sticky in the winter although I
wouldn't called it waterlogged. C.H. survives here. Has red berries which
the blackbirds have now eaten up completely.

HTH
Tina

Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Magwitch

Andy Mabbett muttered:

Suggestions, please, for a shrub (whose berries will be left for birds
to eat), for a very small, shaded garden (not mine) in the Midlands. It
has heavy clay soil, waterlogged in winter (yes, it's a nightmare!).

Thank you.

There must be hundreds of hawthorn varieties that would do the trick it also
does well on clay soil. Monty Don was musing about topiary hawthorn the
other week...

Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:

http://www.no2id.net/

Why?

We had them in WWII and did no harm.

1) In 1949 they didn't have the technology to reproduce them as
easily as these will be reproduced, making them utterly useless -

if
they are not total, IE 100% of people using them, they are a waste

of
time at combatting the crimes they are deigned to curtail.

Agreed: it'll just introduce a whole new crime of mugging people just
to get their ID cards to drop at the scene of the bombing.

2) Can you trust this government to get it right? - can you trust
them not to waste billions of pounds every year for maybe a decade
upon something that will fall by the wayside like the CSA,

Millenium
Dome and umpteen other white elephants?

No, I don't; but let's not forget that the CSA and the Damn Dome were
among the menagerie of white elephants they inherited from the other
lot.

Mike.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Stephen Poley

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:22:13 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Suggestions, please, for a shrub (whose berries will be left for birds
to eat), for a very small, shaded garden (not mine) in the Midlands. It
has heavy clay soil, waterlogged in winter (yes, it's a nightmare!).

The only thing I can think of that meets the criteria is cotoneaster
horizontalis. Most of my garden is shaded as I have a lot of mature trees,
and the soil is heavy clay. It gets very sticky in the winter although I
wouldn't called it waterlogged. C.H. survives here. Has red berries which
the blackbirds have now eaten up completely.

Pyracantha perhaps? It seems fairly indestructible and our soil is
pretty heavy and definitely wet (not just in winter).

--
Stephen Poley
uk.rec.birdwatching FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrb.htm
Old 09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Windy

wrote:

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Big Snip

Pyracantha perhaps? It seems fairly indestructible and our soil is
pretty heavy and definitely wet (not just in winter).

Howzabout a native plant. Such as Blackthorn or Hawthorn ? Baith hae
braw birdyberries, and, can be severly cut back to encourage growth.

Windy
Old 10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mabbett
Suggestions, please, for a shrub
i think theres a dwarf form of Guelder Rose...Viburnum opulus...

Cotoneaster horizontalis is good because it gives late spring flowers , lots of berries , fantastic autumn colour and ,a feature often overlooked , puts its new leaves out very early in the growing season . am i the only one who has noticed how horribly skeletal and bare those Hibiscus look nearly all through spring?

oh and C horizontalis can of course cover vertical areas with little or no support needed.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Stephen Poley

wrote:

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Big Snip

Pyracantha perhaps? It seems fairly indestructible and our soil is
pretty heavy and definitely wet (not just in winter).

Howzabout a native plant. Such as Blackthorn or Hawthorn ? Baith hae
braw birdyberries, and, can be severly cut back to encourage growth.

The hawthorns we tried didn't survive. I suspect they may not be keen on
very wet ground - but I could be wrong, and maybe our problem was
something completely different. Some have survived around here.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Big Snip

Pyracantha perhaps? It seems fairly indestructible and our soil is
pretty heavy and definitely wet (not just in winter).

Howzabout a native plant. Such as Blackthorn or Hawthorn ? Baith hae
braw birdyberries, and, can be severly cut back to encourage growth.

The hawthorns we tried didn't survive. I suspect they may not be keen on
very wet ground - but I could be wrong, and maybe our problem was
something completely different. Some have survived around here.

--

The hawthorns here are spectacular, grown into trees and always covered with
berries.. The pyracanthus gave up the ghost, I tried several times with it.

Tina