Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:03:47 GMT, "Alex Woodward"
wrote:

.
You've given me lots of information to absorb there Chris - many thanks!

I planted a number of Heathers last June. They range from winter to Summer
flowering. I am fairly certain some are supposed to be tolerant to alkaline
soils, but quite a few have started to wither away. They have been planted
in a clay soil, but I've mixed peat and an alternative ericaceous compost to
improve it. The bed itself is on a small incline, so it drains quite well.

Perhaps I should give them more time to establish, or do you think there is
a problem with the soil? I have to admit I have not tested the ph level of
the soil - which is an obvious mistake I suppose.

Alex

As a rule of thumb, winter and spring flowering heathers are lime
tolerant, while summer and autumn flowering ones like an acid soil.

Clay soils can be acid or alkaline, depending on whether there's chalk
present. As Kay said, see if your neighbours are growing heathers or
rhododendrons etc. to get an idea what your soil is like. Simpler than
a pH test.

If the tiny leaves of your heathers are going yellow, then they may be
becoming chlorotic due to alkaline soil, but there could also be other
reasons. Heathers like a peaty soil, so you did the right thing there,
but I don't understand why they should be withering. Sounds like a
problem at/with the roots. Heathers from a g/c or nursery are often
potted into a very peaty compost which is very difficult to wet if it
dries out and shrinks, and the roots of the heather may not be able to
get established into the surrounding soil. Did you water them in when
you planted them? Have they dried out at any stage since you planted
them? Have they been exposed to cold, drying winds? (Over the last
week or so, what hasn't!). You say they're on a slight slope, so it
doesn't sound as if they would be waterlogged, but it is another
possible cause of root failure.

I'm not convinced it's a chalk/lime problem, but can't really offer a
good answer as to what is wrong. I guess you'll just have to hope they
pick up in the spring.

--
Chris