Old 07-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Alex Woodward

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
I've just had a look at the roots of one and I've spotted what looks like
small yellow shell like eggs in the roots system. When crushed there is a
whitish substance inside. They are no bigger than 1mm in diameter, may

Slow release fertiliser pellets?

I've just been informed by a member of the family that they may be 'earwig'
eggs. Sure enough, a quick search on the internet gave the following
picture. They certainly look very similar, thought the eggs that I have seen
look a darker shade of yellow.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/in...ml?size=medium

Will they eat and destroy the roots when they hatch?

Alex

Old 07-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Kay

In article , Alex Woodward
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
I've just had a look at the roots of one and I've spotted what looks like
small yellow shell like eggs in the roots system. When crushed there is a
whitish substance inside. They are no bigger than 1mm in diameter, may

Slow release fertiliser pellets?

I have absolutely no idea, if they are I certainly did not feed them. Having
said that, when I initially planted them last year I gave them a small dose
of 'growmore' and are small white solid grains.

Many growers use fertiliser with slow release food pellets added. If
they were in the soil when you planted them out, then they would be in
amongst the roots now. They fit the description. I think that's a lot
more likely than earwig eggs. And they're most certainly not snail or
slug eggs.

--
Kay

Old 07-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Kay

In article , Alex Woodward
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

Flowering all year, or just the winter ones? Have you asked the
neighbour whether they are erica or Calluna?

Well, they are flowering now so I guess they must be the winter/spring
variety.

From what Rod was saying, likely to be lime tolerant ones then.

Can you grow any of pernettya, gaultheria, skimmia?
Do you have any evergreen plants whose leaves are going a sickly yellow?
Are there any hydrangeas around? - do they tend to have pink flowers or
blue?

--
Kay

Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Sacha

On 7/3/05 19:48, in article , "Alex
Woodward" wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes
I've just had a look at the roots of one and I've spotted what looks like
small yellow shell like eggs in the roots system. When crushed there is a
whitish substance inside. They are no bigger than 1mm in diameter, may

Slow release fertiliser pellets?

I have absolutely no idea, if they are I certainly did not feed them. Having
said that, when I initially planted them last year I gave them a small dose
of 'growmore' and are small white solid grains.

I think that Kay is correct and that these are the slow release fertiliser
pellets many nurseries use. It's mixed in with the compost and a lot of
people think they're something sinister rather than something helpful. But
if you're still worried, why don't you take one of the pellets back to the
place you bought the plants from and check with them?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Alex Woodward

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alex Woodward
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

Flowering all year, or just the winter ones? Have you asked the
neighbour whether they are erica or Calluna?

Well, they are flowering now so I guess they must be the winter/spring
variety.

From what Rod was saying, likely to be lime tolerant ones then.

Can you grow any of pernettya, gaultheria, skimmia?
Do you have any evergreen plants whose leaves are going a sickly yellow?
Are there any hydrangeas around? - do they tend to have pink flowers or
blue?

We have tried to grow a white flowering climbing hydrangea without success.
Initially it bloomed in a pot, but once in the ground - it gave up!

We have many evergreen shrubs that have no problem growing, particularly
tall conifers. Indeed, a large part of the garden is based around a
shrubbery. Most of this was planted last year, but everything appears great
at the moment - with the exception of the juniper I talk about below.

I planted a 'juniper golden carpet variety' in the autumn last year and
though the leaves still appear green, some at the very bottom have turned
dry and appear to have died. I still believe it is ok though, since I think
it is probably more to do with the fact that it has not had time to
establish properly considering I only planted it last autumn.

Something has just occured to me. We have very 'limy' tap water that I used
to help establish the heathers. What an idiot! I bet I've damaged them
myself. What an idiot.

Alex

Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:03:47 GMT, "Alex Woodward"
wrote:

.
You've given me lots of information to absorb there Chris - many thanks!

I planted a number of Heathers last June. They range from winter to Summer
flowering. I am fairly certain some are supposed to be tolerant to alkaline
soils, but quite a few have started to wither away. They have been planted
in a clay soil, but I've mixed peat and an alternative ericaceous compost to
improve it. The bed itself is on a small incline, so it drains quite well.

Perhaps I should give them more time to establish, or do you think there is
a problem with the soil? I have to admit I have not tested the ph level of
the soil - which is an obvious mistake I suppose.

Alex

As a rule of thumb, winter and spring flowering heathers are lime
tolerant, while summer and autumn flowering ones like an acid soil.

Clay soils can be acid or alkaline, depending on whether there's chalk
present. As Kay said, see if your neighbours are growing heathers or
rhododendrons etc. to get an idea what your soil is like. Simpler than
a pH test.

If the tiny leaves of your heathers are going yellow, then they may be
becoming chlorotic due to alkaline soil, but there could also be other
reasons. Heathers like a peaty soil, so you did the right thing there,
but I don't understand why they should be withering. Sounds like a
problem at/with the roots. Heathers from a g/c or nursery are often
potted into a very peaty compost which is very difficult to wet if it
dries out and shrinks, and the roots of the heather may not be able to
get established into the surrounding soil. Did you water them in when
you planted them? Have they dried out at any stage since you planted
them? Have they been exposed to cold, drying winds? (Over the last
week or so, what hasn't!). You say they're on a slight slope, so it
doesn't sound as if they would be waterlogged, but it is another
possible cause of root failure.

I'm not convinced it's a chalk/lime problem, but can't really offer a
good answer as to what is wrong. I guess you'll just have to hope they
pick up in the spring.

--
Chris