Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Xi Wang

Hi,

You never said how long ago this was. If it was like a week ago, no the
leaves should still be wrinkled. They may take a while to recover, but
all you can do is do your best. Generally, if they have a leaf or two,
and a couple inches of roots, they will be okay, eventually....how long
that takes is another question. Several months may be required before
the wrinked leaves plump up again.

Cheers,
Xi Wang

Rob Halgren wrote:
undergroundbob wrote:

Hi all, first post on the orchids forum, be gentle with me! I have
rescued some phaleanopsis (phaleanopses?) from certain death, re-potted
them in fresh orchid compost, cut off the rotten roots and have been
watering with feed / misting occasionally. However, many of them still
have wrinkled leaves and are not looking like they're about to burst
into fresh new growth. Are they doomed to failure? Is there any orchid
CPR I can apply? Or should I just give up and let them go with dignity
to the great compost heap in the sky?

Hope someone can help, I am an almost total orchid ignoramus!

Sounds like your plants don't have many (or perhaps any) viable roots.
Perhaps the ones that were left when you repotted have also died. Could
happen if you are overwatering or over feeding.

My guess is that if you have already repotted them and they still aren't
responding, that they have probably gone a few steps too far through the
door into orchid heaven. Unless you are really attached to them, you
will find far more satisfaction in getting a couple new happy ones. Are
they doomed? Well, no, not necessarily. But it doesn't sound good...

Rob