Old 09-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered User

Default wrinkly?

Hi all, first post on the orchids forum, be gentle with me! I have rescued some phaleanopsis (phaleanopses?) from certain death, re-potted them in fresh orchid compost, cut off the rotten roots and have been watering with feed / misting occasionally. However, many of them still have wrinkled leaves and are not looking like they're about to burst into fresh new growth. Are they doomed to failure? Is there any orchid CPR I can apply? Or should I just give up and let them go with dignity to the great compost heap in the sky?

Hope someone can help, I am an almost total orchid ignoramus!

Many thanks, Bob
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Rob Halgren

undergroundbob wrote:
Hi all, first post on the orchids forum, be gentle with me! I have
rescued some phaleanopsis (phaleanopses?) from certain death, re-potted
them in fresh orchid compost, cut off the rotten roots and have been
watering with feed / misting occasionally. However, many of them still
have wrinkled leaves and are not looking like they're about to burst
into fresh new growth. Are they doomed to failure? Is there any orchid
CPR I can apply? Or should I just give up and let them go with dignity
to the great compost heap in the sky?

Hope someone can help, I am an almost total orchid ignoramus!

Sounds like your plants don't have many (or perhaps any) viable roots.
Perhaps the ones that were left when you repotted have also died. Could
happen if you are overwatering or over feeding.

My guess is that if you have already repotted them and they still aren't
responding, that they have probably gone a few steps too far through the
door into orchid heaven. Unless you are really attached to them, you
will find far more satisfaction in getting a couple new happy ones. Are
they doomed? Well, no, not necessarily. But it doesn't sound good...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Xi Wang

Hi,

You never said how long ago this was. If it was like a week ago, no the
leaves should still be wrinkled. They may take a while to recover, but
all you can do is do your best. Generally, if they have a leaf or two,
and a couple inches of roots, they will be okay, eventually....how long
that takes is another question. Several months may be required before
the wrinked leaves plump up again.

Cheers,
Xi Wang

Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Ray

Probably the safest thing to do from the plants' perspective is to put the
plant with pot in a plastic bag to simulate a greenhouse. Kept warm and
shady, the %RH will get saturated and the plant will not desiccate as badly
while it awaits the growth of new roots.

"undergroundbob" wrote in
message news:1110398925.035919937203420f3801993b9ecdde9c@t eranews...

Old 09-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Hi Bob,

I like to look at Wal Mart and Lowe's and get orchids at mark down
prices. I got four here while back and they're all healthy looking.
One had wrinkly leaves but is trying to bloom now. You have to water
them when they're dry for one day. Watch your orchids daily. I have
seven and water each one when it needs it not all or them at once. Use
spraghnum moss to plant them in - it dries out and encourages roots to
grow. Don't let them stand in water, and set them in an east window.
Read up on phals. they're easy to grow and take care of. Tell us what
your care regimine is and everyone here will do the rest.......Burr

Old 10-03-2005, 04:06 AM

Hey! You forgot to tell us the story about how you rescued them!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hey! You forgot to tell us the story about how you rescued them!
I'm afraid that's classified information...(!)

Thanks all for polite and helpful advice! I will persevere with the healthier looking ones, I like the idea of sphagnum moss, but there are two poor plant souls with no roots to be seen and very wrinkly leaves who I think are beyond salvation...oh well...

Thanks again, Bob
Old 10-03-2005, 05:41 PM

Hold it! No throwing the plants in the trash! Sorry orchid lover
here - gotta try our best first. Saw a little orchid once that was real
expensive but ill, asked about it later and they said, "Oh, probably got
thrown away in the trash." EEEKk! Look at the post I made to Joanna
about a phal. calling it quits and hurry those plants need to be in
intensive care!.......Burr

Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 AM
J Fortuna

Burr,
Just for the record, in my post though I was pessimistic, I had absolutely
no intension of throwing my orchid in the trash -- I would not do that to an
orchid, unless it had no leaves and no roots left.
Joanna

Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 AM

True....I stand corrected! We'll try anything to save our orchid
friends wouldn't we?.....Burr

Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
True....I stand corrected! We'll try anything to save our orchid
friends wouldn't we?.....Burr
After a look last night, I'm going to give them all a last chance. I've cleaned out the pots, baked the compost until it's bone dry, applied a little solution of rooting powder to the bases/root stumps, put them in a place away from draughts and bright sunlight, supported them with sticks and crossed my fingers.

Oh dear, I think I'm becoming an obsessive!

bob
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
QuickGrow South

"undergroundbob" wrote in
message news:1110398925.035919937203420f3801993b9ecdde9c@t eranews...

into fresh new growth. Are they doomed to failure? Is there any orchid
Many thanks, Bob

--
undergroundbob

Where there is green there is hope. I have brought back plants that my
friends said were already dead.

wrinkly passionflower leaves Carol Hughes United Kingdom 0 07-06-2007 02:53 PM
wrinkly leaves @Homeonthecouch Orchids 3 20-07-2005 08:18 PM
Wrinkly garlic Mark Edible Gardening 5 18-04-2003 03:56 AM