Old 13-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Play4abuck

Are your heat mats all working? What is the dirt temp? (I've read it should
be 70-80 F.) Could the water have been contaminated from a laundry product?
Spot spray? Are you running all this on a timer? Could someone being
shutting off a wall switch that's cutting the power to the mats and lights?

I know.....some silly questions.....I'm just fishin.

Cheers,
Jim

"Sterling" wrote in message
I have started my own seeds every spring for the past 5-6 years. I have
one of those wire coated, heavy duty shelves in my laundry room. I
suspend shop lights over 4 shelves and have three seed heat mats. I use
both seed start mix and jiffy pots. I use water that has been allowed to
stand to remove the chlorine. There is a heat vent at the bottom of the
shelves (I keep 1/2 open) that circulates air and heat. This is not in
the basement near any possible gas leak...

Always worked very, very well in previous years.

THIS YEAR I am having difficulty getting ANY pepper seeds to germinate.
Not the bells or jalapeno or cayennes... I FINALLY got 3 varieties of
tomatoes to germinate but it took about 3-4 weeks to see any green.
Tomatoes are usually up in 3 days.

I tried again with the peppers - all new seed - and in both seed start
and jiffy mix. NO PEPPERS! I planted 10 jiffy pots of cantaloupe and now
have only 2 growing. Cucumbers same - 10 to get 2. I can dig up the
seeds and they are not rotted. Just white and clean looking. Like PLASTIC!

I planted 30 of the Park's Lighthouse salvias and now have 2. Zinnias (I
know don't like transplanting but have done well for me in the past) I
have planted twice! No zinnias. Pinwheel variety. Not a speck of green.

The marigolds, cosmos, coleus and impatiens are doing fine.

I cannot figure that anything has changed from last year.

ANY ideas??????????? I am so puzzled....