Old 13-03-2005, 02:35 AM
Al

What is S/H?

I grow many of my biggest and favorite Phals in clay pots filled with pea
gravel. They do very well; forming multiple crowns and tend to keep the
roots in the pots. It is actually my favorite Phal potting method. Two
drawbacks: very heavy. Sometimes I plant in a layer of packing peanuts and
a 'top dressing' of pea gravel. Yes, I do have to water them a lot more
often, but I water my mounted plants everyday anyway.

Aliflor is those round clay-like balls, right? I suspect it would work just
like pea gravel, except, I don't think pea gravel will absorb mineral salts/
"Ray" wrote in message
OK, so maybe S/H is a better choice.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Diana: Aliflor holds very little water. I think you'd be watering your
Phals almost daily, during the hot months.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi, Gang,

We currently grow our Phals either in spag or mounted. What would you

think
about Aliflor for Phals? It seems like a solution to the occasional root

rot
(though I really don't over water). In my warm south FL conditions, how
often would one water a Phal in Aliflor? I use it for many other
orchids,
often mixed with other media, with great results.

Of course, S/H is another option. Just wondering if anyone has tried
straight potting with fired clay medium for Phals.

I await the opinion of the sages. TIA.

Diana