Old 13-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Ray

Al,

Go to my website and click on the "Semi-Hydroponics" link. Think of an
inert medium with a constant supply of nutrient solution.

LECA will work better than pea gravel because the particles WILL absorb
moisture and wick it evenly throughout the medium. Sure, there's a
possibility of mineral buildup, but if you water things correctly, that's
really not an issue. I have a Paph rothschildianum hybrid that has been in
the same medium for over 5 years now, and I see minimal, if any buildup on
the medium.

Among LECAs, there's a wide variety of properties, so don't think they're
all the same. Aliflor didn't work for me, but I know several growers in
south Florida who think it's OK, as they water almost daily.

Well, I'm off to the Central Pennsylvania OS to speak precisely about this
subject. Catch you all when I return Monday evening.

"Al" wrote in message
What is S/H?

I grow many of my biggest and favorite Phals in clay pots filled with pea
gravel. They do very well; forming multiple crowns and tend to keep the
roots in the pots. It is actually my favorite Phal potting method. Two
drawbacks: very heavy. Sometimes I plant in a layer of packing peanuts
and a 'top dressing' of pea gravel. Yes, I do have to water them a lot
more often, but I water my mounted plants everyday anyway.

Aliflor is those round clay-like balls, right? I suspect it would work
just like pea gravel, except, I don't think pea gravel will absorb mineral
salts/
"Ray" wrote in message
OK, so maybe S/H is a better choice.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Diana: Aliflor holds very little water. I think you'd be watering your
Phals almost daily, during the hot months.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi, Gang,

We currently grow our Phals either in spag or mounted. What would you
think
about Aliflor for Phals? It seems like a solution to the occasional
root
rot
(though I really don't over water). In my warm south FL conditions, how
often would one water a Phal in Aliflor? I use it for many other
orchids,
often mixed with other media, with great results.

Of course, S/H is another option. Just wondering if anyone has tried
straight potting with fired clay medium for Phals.

I await the opinion of the sages. TIA.

Diana