Old 14-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Henry

JimS. wrote:
"Jesus Hernandez" wrote in message

Hi, my name is Jesus, and I´m from Madrid in Spain. I would like what is
the meaning of Zones in USA? How do you use them? I´m fond of roses and I
follow you tell about the roses for a few months.

Thank you. Sorry becouse I don´t speak english well. I hope you understand
me.

Some roses grow well in one climate, but not in others. The US is a very
large country with different climates in different areas. So the country is
broken down into climate zones to describe the range of temperatures that
occur in those areas. Zone 1, 2, or 3 is much colder than Zone 7,8, or 9,
for example.

If you read that a rose is good to plant in "Zone 6 and above", but you live
somewhere that is considered Zone 3, then you know that your area is too
cold to grow that rose. The rose is not strong enough to survive the cold
winter where you live.

Spain is mostly in zones 8 and 9 with much of the coastal regions being
in zone 10 (and with a small bit of zones 6 and 7 in the Pyrenees).
There is a zone map for Spain he

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze5.html

--
Henry