Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Jesus Hernandez

Default A friend from Spain

Hi, my name is Jesus, and I´m from Madrid in Spain. I would like what is the
meaning of Zones in USA? How do you use them? I´m fond of roses and I
follow you tell about the roses for a few months.

Thank you. Sorry becouse I don´t speak english well. I hope you understand
me.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:54 PM
JimS.

"Jesus Hernandez" wrote in message
Hi, my name is Jesus, and I´m from Madrid in Spain. I would like what is
the
meaning of Zones in USA? How do you use them? I´m fond of roses and I
follow you tell about the roses for a few months.

Thank you. Sorry becouse I don´t speak english well. I hope you understand
me.

Jose,
Don't worry, your English is great. I hope my Spanish is as good...?

Some roses grow well in one climate, but not in others. The US is a very
large country with different climates in different areas. So the country is
broken down into climate zones to describe the range of temperatures that
occur in those areas. Zone 1, 2, or 3 is much colder than Zone 7,8, or 9,
for example.

If you read that a rose is good to plant in "Zone 6 and above", but you live
somewhere that is considered Zone 3, then you know that your area is too
cold to grow that rose. The rose is not strong enough to survive the cold
winter where you live.

(Algunas rosas crecen bien en una clima, pero no sobreviven bien en otras.
Los EEUU es un paiz muy grande con muchas climas differentes. Asi que, el
paiz esta separado en zonas para describir las temperaturas que occurren en
esas areas. En las zonas 1, 2, o 3 , durante el invierno hace mucho mas
frio que en zonas 7, 8, o 9 por ejemplo. Si lees que una rosa esta bien
para plantear en "Zona 6 y arriba", pero tu vives en zona 3, entonces tu
sabes que la area tuya puede ser demasiado frio para crecer esa rosa. Esa
rosa no es sufficiente dura para sobrevivir el invierno donde tu vives.)

JimS.
Seattle (Zone 8)

Old 13-03-2005, 08:53 PM
ed

JimS. wrote:
[...]

Se espanol es sufficiente bien que un gringo viejo puede entender...bien
hecho.

ed
Old 14-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Henry

JimS. wrote:
[...]

Spain is mostly in zones 8 and 9 with much of the coastal regions being
in zone 10 (and with a small bit of zones 6 and 7 in the Pyrenees).
There is a zone map for Spain he

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze5.html

--
Henry
Old 16-03-2005, 01:13 PM
melitie

Patrick Scheible wrote in message ...
(melitie) writes:

I first heard about zones in US and Canadian sites, because these
countries have places with very different climates. That's why zones
are important to american gardeners. However, I personally think
sometimes they exaggerate about them when it comes to roses.
There was a time I was living in Epirus, Nothern Greece, where winters
are extremely cold, maybe like zone 5 or 6 (US) and the rose plants
everywhere there were wonderful. Now here in the island with the
climate being like US zones 9-10, I see that my roses suffer from
June to August and more. This is because roses don't like extreme cold
and ice, but on the other hand don't like too much heat either. They
get sunburnt and the buds open in a few hours...

[snip]

The zone system leaves a lot to be desired even here in the U.S.
Zones are based only on the winter minimum temperature, without taking
into account how wet or dry it is or how warm it is in the spring and
summer. I'm in Seattle, and our zone is the same as lots of Texas,
but the preferred roses and common diseases are very different because
there it's hot and humid all summer and here it's cool with a dry
spell in August and September.

Cheers,

-- Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I agree that climate details are to be taken into consideration when
it comes to gardening and agriculture generally. It's just that zones
is an american "invention" which is not applied in Europe and is not
known in Europe. In my opinion this is good in someway because I
personally feel free to try all rose varieties I like without having
doubts about their future. I own over 150 rose plants in different
places (winter minimum temperatures from -10 C to +5 C ) for the last
24 years and I have never lost a rose plant because of climate
factors. I have only lost one from a bacterial disease and about 10
because of poor bareroot conditions when bought from abroad. Roses are
very hard shrubs which like to be taken care of, regardless of the
local conditions.
Sorry for my different opinion and forgive me for my bad english.

Regards to you Patrick and Jesus from Spain.
Old 21-03-2005, 07:39 PM
JimS.

"Jesus Hernandez" wrote in message
Thank you, Henry. Do you know the best rose gardens in Spain?

I would like you tell me what are the best in USA. I´m looking information
about
others rose gardens in the world, their designs, and other things about
them.

In the Western USA, one of the best rose gardens is in Portland, Oregon.
Here is a link.
http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/G...TestGarden.htm

JimS.
Seattle, WA

Old 23-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Henry

Jesus Hernandez wrote:
Thank you, Henry. Do you know the best rose gardens in Spain?

I would like you tell me what are the best in USA. I´m looking information
about others rose gardens in the world, their designs, and other things about
them.

I'm sorry, I don't really know where you might go in Spain for gardens
but if you contact the Asociación Española de la Rosa they might be able
to help you. I couldn't find a web site but their contact info is this:

Oficina Técnica del Plan Verde
Av. Primado Reig, 70
46010 Valencia
Spain

Phone: (Country Code: 34) 96 362 92 66
Email:

Contacts:
Secretary - Senor Pedro José Salvador Palomo
President - Senor Francisco Ferrer Marti

I did find a reference to the Parque del Oeste in Madrid. That might be
a place worth looking for.

There are some nice gardens in the USA. I live on the east coast and
enjoy the rose garden at the National Arboretum (I've got some pictures
he http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/2003/20030524_rose.php).

In Hershey, Pennsylvania there is a place called Hershey Park and
Hershey Gardens (yes, the same Hershey as the chocolate company). Many
people go to the park for the rides but the gardens have a very nice
rose collection. http://www.hersheygardens.org/

There is a place called Park of Roses in Columbus, Ohio. I don't really
know anything about it but it sounds very nice.
http://www.clintonville.com/parkrec/rosegarden.html

The Missouri Botanical Garden is in St. Louis. There is the Arnold
Arboretum in Boston. I don't know specifics about roses at either place
but they are certainly worth a visit if you are in those parts of the
country. They have lots to see. There are many other gardens in the
USA and a web search should find at least many of them.

--
Henry