Old 15-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Basil Chupin

Doyley wrote:
The occasional watering hasn't done my yard frogs any harm, but NEVER
use hose water in their ponds. Fill a few buckets and store it for a
couple of days.

In any case, in ponds we really need to start using fish which will deal
with mozzy larvae, but leave (some of) the newly hatched taddies alone.
Only aged water will not kill these fishies. (Make sure they're from Oz
and not a dreaded imported species.)

Chlorine in tap water can be rid of by aerating the water - for how long
depends on the source of the aerator. The aeration really is to keep the
water stirred so that the chlorine escapes. If you pour water from the
tap into a bucket at some force you will smell the chlorine escaping, so
aerating will speed up the escape of the chlorine. Don't forget also that
sunlight destroys the chlorine which is why you have to keep adding it
to the swimming pool.

Using a hose with a nozzle and hosing the water into a largish container
you will be already getting rid of the chlorine so if the water is hosed
into the container and then runs into the pond it already has lost a lot
of the chlorine and if the pond is big enough whatever is left will get
mixed into the existing water and not affect anything in the water.

What one should REALLY watch out for is if you move into a house with
new plumbing installed. With the new copper piping the water is a deadly
poison to fish etc - copper poisoning. I lost a complete tropical fish
acquarium with some very expensive and much loved fish because of this:
moved into a new house and filled the acquarium with water from the
house rather than bringing it in from the old house. If memory serves me
well, it takes about 3 - 4 weeks for the water supply to become
'friendly' (people may want to correct me about this).

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.