Old 16-03-2005, 12:45 AM
John Savage

"Thyro" writes:
I tried the upside down tomato in a 5-gallon bucket last summer after
seeing an article in Organic Gardening. Everytime I'd water, the water
would drip down onto the stem and leaves and the result was instant
disease. Did I just set it up wrong?

I can see the problem: your plant's stem is emerging from the lowest
point in the pot, and that's where excess water will drain to. Not good!

How about taking a standard pot or bucket and gluing a half-inch length of
wide-bore hose inside around the drain hole to raise it above the pot's base
and using PLENTY of glue to ensure the join is watertight. Now, to allow
excess water to drain, you'll need to make a new hole in the base and
I suggest drilling it nearer the edge of the base. Water will down drip
out of this new hole instead of the original centre one, and to stop it
dripping onto the foliage you could attach a short length of plastic hose
to channel the water down through the plant. Don't poke the hose into the
hole, but glue it all the way around it outside the pot. Cover the
opening over the hose with nylon flyscreen to keep potting mix out.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| XX XX |
| |
| |
| |

When you water the plant, water around the perimeter of the pot so that
water is not poured directly above the centre hole. Avoid overwatering.

Just a suggestion, not something I've tried.